Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

… this season I have an abundance of young children from 4-12 yrs old that want to go out fishing with us this season… out on the boat and the dock. In the past I have taught the children on the spinning rod beforehand and most have took to it straight away others required help casting on the boat. Last year we spent a lot of time with tangles and wind knots and went through quite some yardage of line… mostly mono but some super-line.

Im thinking on switching to underspins to eliminate some of the tangling issues. Can anyone recommend some underspins to use this season? Mostly slip/floating with circle hooks … Right away ive noted the Shakespeare at a nice price point of $9.99… anyone familiar with this model?

Views: 215

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had a Shakespeare I used for several years but not exacly like that one. It worked and held up well as long as you kept the spool full. If it got low it wouldn't cast worth a flip. I have also used the Zebco 33T  but have had mixed results. They worked well but didn't hold up some little spring or pin or some thing would fail or get lost. 

THE REALLY BAD THING;; WITH THOSE TYPES;; IS LINE COIL !!    THE LINE ;; ON THE SPOOL;; IS TIGHT !!  SO;; AFTER ITS CAST OUT;;   THE LINE COLIS UP;; REALLY VERY NICELY ON TOP OF THE WATER !!  YOU COULD HAVE A MILE OF COILS !!  ANY;; WINDING IN;; JUST BRINGS EVERYTHING IN !!  WONT STRAIGHTEN THE COILS OUT ANY;; IT REQUIRES;; HEAVY WEIGHTS;;  TO MAKE THEM KIND OF DISAPPEAR;; IF YOUR LUCKUY !!  AND; KEITH IS CORRECT;;  IF THE SPOOL IS FULL;; IT CAST NICELY;; BUT;; IF THE LINE BREAKS OFF SOME;;;;  GET SOME ASPIRIN !!  YOUR GONNA HAVE A HEADACK !!    I HAVE 4 ; OF THOSE TYPES;;  I JUST USE THEM;; AS VERTICAL JIGGING ON OLD RODS;;;; ABOUT ALL THEYRE REALLY GOOD FOR

Thanks for your responses guys!... I ended up near one of my fishing wholesale outfitters while out this evening and took the model up a level from the model shown in the discussion header. Taking it for a little spin … it initially feels well made and the price wasn’t bad at just under 14.00. it came loaded with 4# mono.

Carl brings up a good point about the coiling line. When I pulled some line out to string it thru the guides on the 3-0’ rod the coils are readily visible. Thanks for pointing that out Carl.

I’ll be trying the set-up as is out on the lawn tomorrow. Even though the main purpose is slip/floating and sensitivity isn’t an issue it might be good to go.

What about braid on these spincast type reels? I got some nice used pliable Spider Wire in storage… might be worth a try?

Keith... you mentioned Zebco... i wanted to spin one out of the box but all they had were top spin cast reels in stock... 

FOR YOUNG KIDS;;  NOTHING BEATS;; A ZEBCO 33 ROD N REEL COMBO !!  USUALLY AROUND 20 DOLARS AT WALLY WORLD. PUSH BUTTON;; EASY AS PIE TO USE;; WILL HANDLE ANYTHING THE KIDS WANT TO DO !  AFTER THEY GRADUATE SOME  FROM FISHING;; ITS TIME TO ADVANCE THEIR ROD N REELS !    TO MUCH;; DO THIS ;; OR THAT;; KIND OF RUINS IT FOR THE KIDS !!  LET THEM BE KIDS FIRST !  THEN;; LET THEM ADVANCE; AT THEIR OWN RATE !! ITS MORE FUN FOR THE KIDS !!

I tried braid on one. Put it on, made about a dozen casts (in the yard to see how it was going to work), stripped it all off and put mono on. The braid was spooling so unevenly it was digging in and locking up on itself.

A different braid, or a fused line might work, but that one test was enough to convince me it's easier to just stick with mono.

The underspin reels work OK, but like any other spincast the line quickly turns into a giant "slinky". I think the big problem is twist caused by a rigid pickup pin.

just got back in from testing "as is" and it performed ok... not one tangle or the dreaded wind knot while intentionally trying. however the mono for 4# test spec feels cheep, thick and stiff. braid as you mention might dig in. I have some 12# Gliss that is between 2 and 3# mono equiv diameter I'm thinking on trying.

unscrewing the the spool cover revealed that they only filled about half way with line... adding line would definitely improve some distance.

Yeah, my G’Kids prefer the art of the cast with a spinning reel… they will spend hours practicing in the back for distance and accuracy. Kayden at 3 years old same with Earl’s son Connor at 3 years old would make accurate casts next to docks and laydowns.

One of the most frustrating things for me is to cast with my right arm switch hands with the rod and reel in with the right… I never understood it… the kids don’t either. I would have more push buttons in my arsenal if they offered left hand retrieves. The reel market is missing a huge opportunity here. Offer the left hand retrieve for right handers!

The thing is out in the boat you could sense the frustration from the child with wind knots etc while actually fishing. Practicing on the lawn is different and a lot less stress than when the fish are biting.

Here is a short clip when Kayden was 3 yrs old casting the spinning reel.

Cute video.  Kayden was well taught, manually closing the bail!!!

I use 4# Mr. Crappie line on all my ultra light reels. It has low memory so you don't get the coils and casts really well and is very inexpensive. Carl turned me on to it and I've been using it ever since. 

thanks, Keith!... I have 6# crappie mono that I back up super lines with... I might buy me a spool of 4# for the spincast models... thanks

well, i have 2 observations with this setup so far...

1. Gliss binds up on the reel and does not work... bummer

2. Connor tried it out on the last trip and landed a few fish and not one tangle... awesome!

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
15 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
18 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"An Instrumental Guitar recording of mine to commemorate. …"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Trout Season opens April 6th in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for stocking."
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
"My favorites through the Years: Manns Jelly Worm, Manns Auger tail, Charlie Brewers 4" on a…"
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
Sunday
Sunday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

"Thank you, Jeffrey!"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service