Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

AFTER READING JANS COMMENT ABOUT A BUCKET LIST LETS START ONE IN MY GROUP: 10 ITEMS ONLY OR LESS ABOUT THE GOOD OLE DAYS ON FAMILY , TACKLE  , FISHING OR ANYTHING PERTAINING TO THAT STUFF.

HERE'S MINE:

#1 I WISHED I HAD TIME to say things to the kids and they had time to listen about old memories , and had the forsight to ENGAGE MY BRAIN BEFORE I ENGAGE MY MOUTH.
 #2  I wished I could go back to the days of POT BELLIED STOVES at the local tackle and gun shops, AND WAS ABLE TO REMEMBER ALL THAT THE OLD FELLAS HAD TO SAY. Wisdom and knowledge is on the wain today and not many old timers left to pass the knowledge on.
  #3 I REALLY WISH WE COULD GO BACK to the days when you could walk anywere with a gun or fishing rod in your hand and no one who saw you questioned what you were doing as a kid. I really wish my grandkids could live in those days. You always closed gates, picked up any mess you made, and left the place cleaner than you found it. WE DID IT OUT OF RESPECT FOR SOMEONE ELSES PROPERTY.

#4 My personal favorite: TACKLE, WISHED someone made rods , reels, and lures like they used to . Technology has made everything with out  soul or character today .  THE RODS AND TACKLE OF OLD was spoken of with reverence in the old days around the stove in the old shops. That's because it was at the time very expensive to obtain. Now I  have 20-30 old Wonderods and back in the day when I was a kid if you had one you were the luckiest guy in the world!!
  ALL MY OPINIONS OF COURSE ARE MINE AND some may go along with em.

Views: 602

Replies to This Discussion

Well, the world hasn't changed much since I was a little kid but I must echo #3. Almost every winter Saturday I go fishing in the Chicago River in an EXTREMELY Jewish neighborhood. Because orthodox Jews cannot use machinery of any kind on Saturday everybody is walking around town at 9 or 10 in the morning. People always inquire where I'm going, what I'm fishing for, where I'm from, etc. We have very friendly conversations. It is one of the more pleasant parts of the week and I really wish this setting was more common.

How right you are Jacob. What we took as common place back in our youth is mostly gone today. Most of the time folks are too busy to talk to you. The exception is of course other fishermen. They aaaaaaaaaaaaaalways want to know if they are biting and what on!

I miss the good old days when we had Haloween, not "fall festivals", Christmas time, not "winter break" and Easter vacation, not "spring break". Everything was called for what it really was, no trying to make everyone else happy. I was born into and lived in the orange and lemon groves of Southern California. I know that was a different world and time. It would be nice if the kids of today could just get on their bicycles and ride up into the San Gabriel Mountains like I could, and enjoy the sights as I used to. Those were the days.......   

HOW RIGHT YOU ARE STEVE!!!!!! NOW IF a kid is walking down the street headed for the woods with a 22 rifle the SWAT TEAMS, HOMELAND SECURITY, FBI, CIA, OSS , AND EVERY OTHER FANATICAL ABBERATION OF THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT WOULD BE THERE WITH THE SEMI AUTO'S DRAWN and warning the kid , IF YA MOVE WE'LL SHOOT!!!!!! WISH WE COULD GO BACK Steve but it just ain't going to happen in our lifetimes buddy.

YA KNOW STEVE YA GOTTA FORGIVE THIS OLD DUDE CAUSE I RRRRRRRRRREALLY GET WORKED UP THINKING about what we could do and did as kids compared to nowadays! Makes me so mad I can't spit and to think it could get worse is beyond comprehension for me!!!!!!!!!!! Can't imagine what Leo's kids, my grandkids, and all the new young ones will have to face............... Saddens me to no end and lucky for us we have memories to go back to that most kids today will never have......

well to start things of im barley turning 15 and i never really had a chance to experience the old times where you could be gone for a day and not make your parents worry about what you were doing because everyone new everyone and nothing bad would ever happen.

my first item is to go back and live threw that time and to be able to actually witness all of those good old times iv seen in movies where there is and old grandpa and a grandson out on a boat fishing and just having a good old time.

my second list would be to be able to go back and visit my old grandparents to see how they were before everything started to change and to get to know how they became who they are today. 

my third and final wish would be to be able to stay in that time period without having to grow out of it and for the whole world to go back to the way it used to be, where if one family was hurt the whole town would fall back and help them,and then they would in return do the same with others.

WELL JOSE, THERE'S LOTS OF FOLK ON HERE THAT WOULD LIKE TO GO BACK TO THE GOOD OLE DAYS , alas that just ain't going to happen.
You are wise beyond your years and that's a trait lost today on most young people. We have lots of young people on here and it's good cause it's a different point of view than just a bunch of OLD GEEZERS talking about days gone by. Something drew you to this group and maybe it's because of your grandparents, in any case glad to have ya and your comments , we love to read here......... In the GOOD OLE DAYS are some fantastic stories and memories from lots of folk on here and I reread em all periodically cause I"m retired and really enjoy them alot..
Can't wait to read some of yours .....
TIGHT LINES JOSE
TOOTY

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz

"Beauties Troy!"
yesterday
Troy Dorman posted a photo
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz shellcracker

"Great cracker daily double! Congrats Troy….."
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Saturday
Troy Dorman posted a photo
Friday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"This year my old Rattle Traps have been catching again in the 3",1/2 oz, and 3,5",3/4oz…"
Friday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"The Rattle Traps over the windy flats have called Fish up and done well. 2 mid sized and two…"
Thursday
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far.  "
Thursday
Thursday
Thursday
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far. "
Thursday
John Sheehan posted photos
Thursday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Tracy."
Thursday
tracy willis commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Wednesday
tracy willis commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"toad!!"
Wednesday
dick tabbert posted a photo

Big rubber soider

Prototype of a big rubber spider 3x3" with a #4 2xl hook.
Wednesday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

Vince with two nice ones

"Thanks, Jeff! Yes, he's soon to be 16!"
Apr 16
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"Ah! That's the Mustache!"
Apr 16
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"This is the one I caught the perch on. Mushtache Minnow."
Apr 16
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"John, it's a mess but as soon as the mustache minnow gets wet it takes on the looks of a…"
Apr 16

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service