Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

A Blue Moon happens when there is two full moons that occur in the same month. We're having a Blue Moon tomorrow and Sat. night. I would assume bluegill fishing would be really good.

We went fishing Sunday to a small state owned lake here in Indiana and it appeared to be having an algae bloom. The water was very green in color and it had thousands of air bubbles on the surface in one area of the lake. The bubbles disappeared after about an hour, weird sight though. None the less, I'm thinking of heading out tomorrow afternoon or Saturday AM. What's everyone's take on the Blue Moon.

Views: 330

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The Full Moon is normally great fishing on the blackwater rivers of Northeast N.C.......I'll be taking advantage of it tomorrow morning....I try to go around every full moon!

Jeffrey, you're one lucky man because I get a feeling you fish five days a week...lucky dog.

I am grateful Troy.....I push hard for four times a week until October......I've got a very good forecast this Labor Day as well...The way I see it, a day fishing is a free day! Good luck when you get back out there Troy.....

You, Jim, and Jen are fishing machines. I don't think any one of us can reach the luck level that you have for fishing fun.

You're right, Leo. Jeffrey has tons, er, thousands of acres of world class bluegill water at his back door and I have 20 private ponds to fish any day of the week.

Jen, well, she's just an outright expert with the fly pole with innovative lure making talents.

Plus....I'm retired! Whooo Hooo!

You know, I have never fished by the moon phases, or the solunar tables at all. I do tend to keep an eye on the water temps, and barometric pressure however.

I paid attention to moon phases early in my angling career, but as I got older and into more 'stuff' I just had to go when I had the chance to go. Occasionally, I'll try to hit it on a full or new moon phase. I especially watch and try to time it if I am fishing for hickory or American shad for those spring time runs, of for the yellow perch spawn in tidal waters of the upper Chesapeake Bay area.

Like Tony, I tend to base more on frontal passages and water temperatures.

Moonphases is one thing to consider, if you have a stable temprature region to work with. Otherwise, as Tony and Jim said, monitor for pressure drop and water temps if your fishing opportunities allow you to attack when ever possible. Windows of such great opportunities normally exist at the crack of dawn or early evening for me.

I LOVE the FULL MOON fish!!!!!! I however like to go just before sundown, and fish till the MOON is overhead!!!!! The water I fish is extremely clear and the fish come up for BUG!!!!!!!! Best thing about that is I have the LAKE TO MYSELF!!!!!! :-)

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
4 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
4 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
4 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
4 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
4 hours ago
4 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
23 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service