Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Has anybody messed around with this tenkara stuff? Im mostly wondering about the rods how is the action do the fish put up a good fight? Alot of the area that I flyfish for gills is close to shore so the short line length isnt an issue and I know the flies will work because theyre all basicly soft hackles and those are usualy killers.

Views: 7795

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thank you

Great, thanks for the information. I think I will be getting a 12 Tenkara USA rod within the month. From what I've read, it's a great way to fish. I fish for trout as well as warm water fish and think it will be lot's of fun. I am a flyrodder and feel Tenkara is just another way to "flyfish". I'd like to hear others experiences with these rods.

Oh my gosh, thank you so much for this website. I'm 18 and dont have a job yet so money is pretty tight for me and I only knew of Tenkara USA to get rods from and that way out of my budget but I am definitely going to save up for the 55$ one! I have been wanting to do tenkara for years and years but never had the money for it and now I think it will actually happen. Thank you very much for this!

the fountainhead is definitely worth it, there was no way i was gonna drop 200 for a tenkara usa rod just to see if it was something i liked.

The coolest thing about tenkara fishing is they have made great sport of the smallest fish. No longer must you catch boat bustin' lunkers to be be deemed worthy - in tenkara, dinkies now count as trophy fish. I suspect that somewhere there is a magazine for it and maybe even a tournament circuit. It is the 'ultra deluxe' of micro fishing.

I've been doing the 'wannabe tenkara' thing with long telescoping poles for years. Dipping a bait, essentially, the effect of a decent fish caught this way is exhilarating.

Tenkara, in fact, just may be the best thing that ever happened to bad anglers, like me. LOL

Amen Brother..... I love the fact that everything does come full circle. Fly rods used in Europe during the Middle Ages  were actually 6 foot Hazel wood poles with 6 feet of horse hair line tied to a single fly.

600+ years later, we're still doing the same thing. REAL OLD SCHOOL

I too am looking into Tenkara rods.  I have a Hera and Keiryu rods (17' & 25')  I have read lots on the TenkaraUSA and Tenkarabum sites.  Some used rods on these sites as well.  I have been looking at one on ebay that is 12' called New England, $110.00.  Looks like a very cool way to catch fish.

Craig

Looks like a good rod. Good luck 

Keiryu poles  are a lot of fun. Don't be afraid to dap a few flies. Good Luck 

just ordered the fountainhead caddis, for $55 I can try it out and see if its something I want to spend some more money and time doing.

If you need anything, let me know and good luck

ok, thanks alot.

I have been fishing Tenkara for Blues, Reds, Crappie, and LMB at our local lake.  I fish chinese rods and Tenkara USA rods. I use 12 lb fluorocarbon as level line and add tippet to that.  So most of my casts are out about 25-30 foot.  I fished the same pattern all fall.  Dark hare's ear. #16.  Sep - Jan.

If you buy some of the telescoping rods from china ... just make sure to get the most sections and check out the diameter of the handle.  .70 inch is the largest ones that i have seen.  dont buy any rod over 11 foot.  or  360 cm.  and dont pay more than 15 dollars on ebay.  Type in the key word  telescoping fishing rod.  and look over the ads.  I recommend buying those from hong kong,  It wont take as long for shipping ...

hope this helps.

chuck

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
23 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
23 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
23 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
23 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
23 hours ago
23 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
Tuesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
Tuesday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service