Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

As I turn the last page of the “SLIP’S 2017 LOGS, STATUS AND STRATEGIES” log book on an astounding year of angling… I think back on the initial strategies and goals for the year. I wanted to tag at least (4) Trophy Master Angler Panfish and that would include one thru the ice which would be a PB using that method. I ended up with 2 trophy P.Seeds thru the ice with a PB at 9.8" as well as(13) total Master Anglers thru the rest of the open water season!

To accomplish this feat I would greatly scale down my presentations to micro lite equipment… rods, reels, lines and baits. Careful considerations of lines were incorporated into my methods which would not exceed 2# mono diameter…and super lines that would approach 8# test or above to handle the trophy quality of fishes sought.

I would also aim to make my time on the water more productive by timing the trips with solunar periods… majors and minors on New and Full Moons. I've discovered big fish follow the moon… period! 2017 proved that especially considering the hard water Ice Period. I was on the big fish spots on the peak periods and it paid off!... BIGly!!!

I think I coined a phrase “Fishing for the Numbers by the Numbers” by incorporating all methods and strategies to gain my odds on the water for numbers as well as numbers of trophies. By the end of the day and all the numbers were tallied for 2017 I broke many records for the Master Angler Program in at least 2 counties.

I’m hoping for an even better season for 2018 and success for the fishermen following BBG!

Ken

Views: 7435

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

20180612-~~<")))))><(-*Post.Spawn.Period*--86%/78°

20180613-~~<")))))><(-*Post.Spawn.Period*--98%/78°

...Major.Period on a new moon should be killer... anybody else going out on this 98% productive day?

I'm gonna miss it Darnit! Good Luck Slip!

Thanks John... the winds are working against me

I'll be fighting high winds today 15 to 20 miles an hour but I should find some shelter areas that were highly productive in the past.

This is my personal best fishing lake for Bluegill and I feel the predatory draw to the major major period

At the boat launch now nothing but white caps

I have never caught so many 9 to 10 in slot bluegill in all my life in such a short span. Wow !

Major.Period Is just about over and the bite just slowed down

20180613-Pushing Forward thru the Weather on the New Moon

Minimially there are at least two times a month an angler should be out on the water for high productivity… the New Moon Major.Period and the Full Moon Major.Period... knowing these times and dates in advance I planned my next trip.

With a slice of pizza in one hand and a cup of coffee in the other waiting my turn at the launch… i watched a fisherman and a pair of jet skiers load up quickly to escape the high winds and whitecaps from this small popular public lake… I seriously was sitting there near the tipping point in decision between continuing with the trip or packing it in turning back and heading home. It was that close.

Once out on the lake I headed towards the most protected shoreline. Water temps registered in the mid 70’s and water gin clear. This lake scours clean from weed control leaving only low growth. The boaters and skiers love it.

My plan was to use slip floats and long cast jig setups in the high winds… this proved difficult with bows in line and limited casting direction. The most protected shoreline offered a couple tiny fish to the slip float presentations. Long casting proved futile in the floating algae masses.

Within only a half hour I was seriously calling it was when I noticed a big blue tail checking out the slip/float/waxie… finally a decent fish. The fish ignored the presentation. I repositioned the boat so I would be upwind of the fishes position and started making long casts with the wind with the bare jig/waxie combo… BAM… finally some decent hits and tags. These fish measured between 9 and 10”. I missed few fish in the fight to the boat that were very heavy in weight and strength.

I was on the solunar peak, on the location with the correct presentations! It all came together.

I stayed on the spot thru some of the Lull.Period and was rewarded with a 10” on the nose Master Angler certificate B.Gill! I was planning on just fishing thru the Major.Period but when you have such a flurry of quality action I decide to stick it out thru the Lull.Period. it paid off bigly!

On the way in I pitched a few docks using the “Between the Docks strategy” and was greatly rewarded with more quality fish as well as a bonus 20” class LMB.

This fish was tagged tight to the dock and was battled with my lightest UL set-up to date freshly strung with 2# Suffix NannoBraid… the fish battled strongly even breaking water a couple times under the dock yet this line came out a winner with the fish literally winched back to the boat… strong stuff!!

Thanks Brad Reid for the line recommendation! So far I’m extremely happy with it.

>20180613-One of My Top Days on the Water!

>20180613-19“: class LMB taking the panfish bait

>20180613-Trophy Master Angler B.Gill tagged on the Major/Major solunar period

>20180613-Major/Major Success! Master Angler!! 1 of 2

>20180613-Major/Major Success! Master Angler!! 2 of 2

>

>

...20180613- Intraday Solunar snapshot of Major and Minor Periods

RSS

Latest Activity

dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Tracy."
7 hours ago
tracy willis commented on Troy Dorman's photo
10 hours ago
tracy willis commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"toad!!"
10 hours ago
dick tabbert posted a photo

Big rubber soider

Prototype of a big rubber spider 3x3" with a #4 2xl hook.
12 hours ago
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

Vince with two nice ones

"Thanks, Jeff! Yes, he's soon to be 16!"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"Ah! That's the Mustache!"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"This is the one I caught the perch on. Mushtache Minnow."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"John, it's a mess but as soon as the mustache minnow gets wet it takes on the looks of a…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Yeah, growing some Slab Perch there Dick! A mustache?"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Jeffrey."
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

These were caught on redworms

"Nice mixed catch……."
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

Vince with two nice ones

"Nice daily double…..Vince is growing up!"
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Nice perch anywhere Dick…"
yesterday
dick tabbert posted photos
yesterday
Troy Dorman posted photos
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on tracy willis's photo
Thumbnail

nice pan of gills

"Nice mixed bag…..enjoy the fry!"
Monday
tracy willis posted a photo

nice pan of gills

eater size gills and shellcrackers. fairly easy to catch a mess since they nest raiding bass and…
Monday
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"Very generous offer Dick!"
Monday
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"I believe sinking Dick. "
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by