Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Views: 9033

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

20170527----~~<")))))><(---* Spawn Period*--71°

20170527- Fishing with my boys… short panfish trip on a small natural lake. The bite was slow starting out with Brenden striking out on his new rig early in the game. Kenny was hot out of the gate Long-Casting/Tiny Jigs and outnumbered us all with quantity. I stuck with the Slip/Float/Crawler-Bit tagging a quality P.Seed as my first fish.

Brenden switched to the Slip/Float/Crawler-Bit method and started tagging fish at an accelerated pace. at one point Brenden found this hot spot underneath a willow with fish on consecutive casts. he said to me"PaPa if you turn the boat this way you can catch some of these fish too."... i teared up a little...:>)

very memorable day this will be.

...20170527- Brenden with his first Lepomis on his new Ugly Stick Combo!

...20170527- Kenny proud of his LMB tagged on the Long-Casting /Tiny Jigs 1” apex minnow

...20170527-First fish of the Day!! 9” class P.Seed Slip/Float/Crawler-Bit

...20170527- had a great time fishing with Kenny and Brenden!

20170531----~~<")))))><(---*Spawn Period*--65°

20170531-big drop in temps overnight with winds. Made fishing a float difficult… I restricted my spots to calmer waters and ended up with little fishes. I ended up packing in quickly and made a few casts near the launch and ended the day with a nice battle from a 16” er SMB… it was a pleasure fighting on the mini UL rigs.

...20170531~BFOTD... nice SMB long casting 1/64 oz swim jig

20170601----~~<")))))><(---*Spawn Period*--67°

20170601-I spent some time early in the morning at the local bridge and got into a few 10+ plus B.Crappies with the long-casting/tiny jig set-up. It’s really nice to tag these fish from shore.

In the afternoon overcoming some neck right shoulder and arm pain… I decided to give it a shot and look for a bite at a lake I’m really not familiar with and without a sonar contour map. The B.Gills by now were on the beds so I decided to fish so my strategy was to sight fish the cruisers around the weed beds along with waiting females.

I found some stumps along with some dirty water and right away found some activity… found some new nests and males fanning not protecting so the spawn was just under way in this lake.

Many fish were cruising the shallows and were easily spotted with the polarized glasses. Casting into their lanes resulted in easy pickings.

It wasn’t necessary to break-out the crawlers because for today the fish readily accepted the slip/float/pink-waxie method with enthusiasm.

Many fish were caught exceeding (3) limits easily with an (2) outstanding 9” class B.Gills as well as an 8” class P.Seed

20170601-9” class B.Gill… one of the best fishes of the day

20170601-Nice B.Gill caught at coincidental Solunar Period and near sunset… great opportunity time.

20170601-Nice P.Seed one of the best of the day. Slip/Float/Pink Waxie

20170601-Nice Pumpkin-Gill

20170601-Nice B.Crappie Long-Casting/Tiny Jigs from shore.

...20170601-a few B.Gills and P.Seeds were on beds in the shallows so I fished the deeper weed edges for the females

20170602----~~<")))))><(---*Spawn Period*--72°

20170602-I arrived at the boat launch just to discover they have just treated the lake with herbicides for various weeds. Growing up summers on a lake that was routinely treated you learn that it’s just a waste of time fishing at least for a few days afterward… just knocks down the fish activity.

I decided to go ahead anyway and made my way to one of my favorite spots. The feeling after a few casts was ghost town… a few straggler fish here and there with no pattern or sense of continuity. With water temps in the low seventies, one would expect to find the shallows swarming with life… not today.

felt grateful just to be able to get out on the lake and enjoy a few tugs on the line... that was more than enough for me.

20170603----~~<")))))><(---*Spawn Period*--74°

20170603- I proceeded to take that short walk down to the bridge on my favorite lake loaded with two spinning rigs, backpack, and net.

One setup was a 4’6” spinning rig set-up slip/float/pink-waxie style, 8# GLISS and a Sienna 50 series spinning reel. Go any smaller and lighter your fishing ice tackle.

The other set-up was my Long-Casting 5’6” Shakespeare Wild series with the 100 series rear drag Sienna reel also loaded with 8# GLISS.

Once situated at my spot I fan casted a tiny swim jig around the perimeter with no results. I then proceeded to pitch the slip float parallel with the bank… again with no fish activity. Meanwhile, I'm watching a series of carp move along the bank.

I set my float stop at about 6-7’ to fish a small 8’ hole… my float wasn’t in the water more than a second or two after the bait reached bottom when the float disappeared. Setting the hook into a freight train which I thought initially was a carp ended up as a surprise 24” C.Cat… what a fight on that tackle!

20170603-Tagged a nice C.Cat fishing small for B.Gills

so way behind on my blog!!!... I have to find some way to catch up with the hot bite going on!

20170604----~~<")))))><(---*B.Gill Spawn Period*--73°

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz

"Beauties Troy!"
Sunday
Troy Dorman posted a photo
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz shellcracker

"Great cracker daily double! Congrats Troy….."
Sunday
dick tabbert commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Saturday
Troy Dorman posted a photo
Friday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"This year my old Rattle Traps have been catching again in the 3",1/2 oz, and 3,5",3/4oz…"
Friday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"The Rattle Traps over the windy flats have called Fish up and done well. 2 mid sized and two…"
Thursday
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far.  "
Thursday
Thursday
Thursday
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far. "
Thursday
John Sheehan posted photos
Thursday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Tracy."
Thursday
tracy willis commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Wednesday
tracy willis commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"toad!!"
Wednesday
dick tabbert posted a photo

Big rubber soider

Prototype of a big rubber spider 3x3" with a #4 2xl hook.
Wednesday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

Vince with two nice ones

"Thanks, Jeff! Yes, he's soon to be 16!"
Apr 16
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"Ah! That's the Mustache!"
Apr 16
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"This is the one I caught the perch on. Mushtache Minnow."
Apr 16
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"John, it's a mess but as soon as the mustache minnow gets wet it takes on the looks of a…"
Apr 16

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service