Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Views: 9033

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

20170517-so another low scaled fish activity level pegged at 21% a near image of yesterday’s outing with weather and solunar outlook… the major period again late afternoon between 17:07pm and 20:07pm. and i was out on my spots

I expected similar results with similar methods of presentation and got them with near quality like fishes.

All fish released.

20170517-good day on the water… some lunker sized Pan fish

20170518----~~<")))))><(---*Pre Spawn Period*--67°

20170518-I decided after analyzing the forecast for the day to allocate my resources to finish mapping a local lake and registering it on Insight Genesis to share with local fishermen. I could elect to keep my information private… just for me to use but I choose moving forward and helping fishermen tag more fish.

The thing about the forecast was the high wind gusts that were forecasted for the day. Id rather do a little mapping than watching a float in 1 ft waves. Once out on the water I decided to do the more sheltered areas and see how it goes.

A fisherman can learn a lot by just doing a perimeter run by of his local waters better yet with sonar. While doing just that I paused on a few occasions to test the bite on with a slip float setup. The first stop was on an exposed point or shoreline projection with a nice P.Seed with some magnificent coloring. A nice B.Crappie soon followed further down the shoreline.

Wow … I fished this lake many times yet have spent no time in these areas. I found a large stump barely poking the surface in 5 FOW and projected the bait alongside. I was immediately rewarded with another nice P.Seed.

As time on the water continued the wind got worse eventually forcing me off the lake.

...20170518-a nice 9” class P.Seed tagged Slip/Float/Crawler-bit

...20170518-a nice 11” class B.Crappie tagged Long-Casting/Tiny Jigs

20170518-another nice one just missing the trophy mark

20170520----~~<")))))><(---*Pre Spawn Period*--64°

20170520- I purchased a 5’-0” Ugly Stick for my G’Son Brenden for his birthday. I really like this UL model of this brand. My wife has had one now in use for over 10 years and has proved extremely durable in the field or should I say out on the water.

The rods out of the box are a little numb in sensitivity… adding braid gives it that little oomph where it is lacking. The 8# Spider Wire I thought would be a good choice… going thinner would increase the chances of wind knots… plus it will give a little strength just in case he needs to horse a fish.

So I finished spooling the line and tied on a 1” Apex Minnow and took a walk to the bridge to test it out for sensitivity. Wasn’t long before I tied into my first tag twitching the jig close to some bottom rubble. Setting the hook felt fine and the battle from this 10” class Rock Bass was awesome on this little rig… the fish even peeled a little drag.

he's going to be one happy little camper!

...20170520-Nice 10” class R.Bass

20170521----~~<")))))><(---*Pre Spawn Period*--62°

20170521-i made a bid on fishing a remote spot with only an hour point 5 to fish and struck out. After a couple days of severe cold front drop in temperature the fish left the shallows and I did not have the time to go and find them. The cove temp just a few days prior was a whopping 74 degs now just short of 62 degs… that does something to fish biology… they head out deep. Nothing but negativity here.

Knowing this I could of stayed home and wait it out weather-wise… but I believe to be a good fisherman you need to experience this… not once but over and over again. Sure today was a beat down … im glad to have experienced it.

First fish after a long wait for Major peak was a mere welcomed 6” b.gill. then a b.crappie bite on the worm… how pathetic is that?... lol

Soon afterwards I was rewarded with the best bite of the day … a nice chunky R.Bass that pulled a little drag. The turtle bite was the bitter pill… I packed it in what was left of the major period.

...20170521- disappointing outcome after a 12 deg drop in water surf temps during the significant cold front the worst beatdown of the year.

20170524----~~<")))))><(---*Pre Spawn Period*--62°

20170524- the cold May of 2017 continues with a cold wind and clouds. I decided to hit the back end coves to find any remaining fish left in the shallows. I pick one of several within a short distance from the launch.

As I made my way into the back of the cut I look to find any source of life… pan-fish, minnows anything and find none. indicators were not pointing towards a successful outing.

Still working the Solunar lull period for an hour I decided to stick it out to the next period. The fish were completely ignoring all the best offerings. I thought at one point were they even present at all in this shallow water system. Picking up anchor and heading out deeper would expose me to the high winds and waves. Ruled that out… spine just cant take it nowadays.

As I approached the Minor Period I tagged my first fish… a beautiful P.Seed of just near trophy proportions.

Minutes later I made a perfect cast between two limbs of an old laydown. The slip float took off… I set the hook with a quick snap and the water welled and then exploded exposing a huge LMB. I felt the line wrapping and rubbing against the laydown. I relieved some pressure on the fish and instinctively the LMB headed for the deeper water of the cut. The 6# Power Pro Vermillion line held tight and I slid the net under a 20” class LMB. A quick photo snap and was he was quickly released. Wow, what a battle with the UL gear!

The action continued with a near ten-inch B.Gill taking the night crawler bit under the slip float.

The hawg action continued with a few more quality fish in the 90%+ range till the peak of the Minor period expired and then slowly stopped altogether.

What a trip! I was just getting ready to call it a skunking and head home but decided to hold off at least till the minor period. Patience won the battle today.

20170524-esquisite flawless P.Seed near trophy class

20170524-spectacular fight on the B.Gill set-up… the 6# braid held tight and brought this 20" Class toad to the net.

20170524-10“ class B.Gill tagged on the Slip/Float/Crawler-Bit... pig of a hen!

20170524-NOTHING BUT TOADS! Most fish in the 90%+ certificate class

20170525----~~<")))))><(---*Pre Spawn Period*--63°

20170525- I like being out on the water on the days of the new and full moon. Statistically, that’s when the bite is on for the month. Today was the day of the full moon but the weather hasn’t been the greatest for fishing. A cold front has been lingering for days. The trend has been dropping water temps and a negative bite.

Air temps were in the upper 50’s and wind was mild or calm and no calm waters on the lake. Surface temps were in the low 60’s after reaching the mid 40’s just days earlier. Once out on the water and moving to my spots the wind kicks up from the North.

As I was nearing the end of a deep wide cut the property owner at the farthest lot ran across his yard jumped on his pontoon boat at the dock and made a long cast to the opposite shore cutting me off from the deepest access. This area holds the largest concentration of fish. So I stop short and start making casts with the Slip/Float/Nite-Crawler bit. He is tagging 3 or 4 fish to my one and dropping them into a five-gallon bucket

I'm really impressed with the sizes of the fish I was tagging … all over the 90% Master Angler rating between 9 and 10” including a nice B.Gill that easily made my top ten list. I drop them into the live well and leave after a period of slow bites. I tagged Few fish in a long time period. I then drop the fish off in a remote sandy flat with limited access from the big boats to better protect the large fish gene pool of the area.

As I enter the next shallow water system I see no signs of life. The cold weather certainly sent them off to the depths. I hung around in the cold drizzle and wind for awhile and called it… headed back to the launch.

Few but quality fish in bad weather was the theme of the day.

20170525-Not a 10! But very close… one of my top 10 PB B.Gills… Slip/Float/Crawler-Bit definitely CPR’ed to pass those genes!!!

20170525-Ended up with a fish that easily made my lifetime top 10 B.Gills list

20170526----~~<")))))><(---*Spawn Period*--65°

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz

"Beauties Troy!"
Sunday
Troy Dorman posted a photo
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz shellcracker

"Great cracker daily double! Congrats Troy….."
Sunday
dick tabbert commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Saturday
Troy Dorman posted a photo
Friday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"This year my old Rattle Traps have been catching again in the 3",1/2 oz, and 3,5",3/4oz…"
Friday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"The Rattle Traps over the windy flats have called Fish up and done well. 2 mid sized and two…"
Thursday
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far.  "
Thursday
Thursday
Thursday
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far. "
Thursday
John Sheehan posted photos
Thursday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Tracy."
Thursday
tracy willis commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Wednesday
tracy willis commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"toad!!"
Wednesday
dick tabbert posted a photo

Big rubber soider

Prototype of a big rubber spider 3x3" with a #4 2xl hook.
Apr 17
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

Vince with two nice ones

"Thanks, Jeff! Yes, he's soon to be 16!"
Apr 16
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"Ah! That's the Mustache!"
Apr 16
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"This is the one I caught the perch on. Mushtache Minnow."
Apr 16
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"John, it's a mess but as soon as the mustache minnow gets wet it takes on the looks of a…"
Apr 16

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service