Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Views: 6445

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

20170923----~~<")))))><(---*Post Summer Period*--71%/74°

20170919-today was the day of the New Moon one of the highest percentage day for productivity and a great chance to tag that trophy fish as well as numbers of fish. At 97% solunar activity rating I’m on the water!

I’ve been doing well lately with the Long-Cast/.016oz Jig/Waxie working the deeper flats at 8-9’ foot range.

The weather the past couple weeks have been fantastic… above normal temps and calm winds… great for long-casting the tiny jigs. I love keeping the anchor up and positioning the boat with the trolling motor also. Today was a bit different cloudy skies and moderate steady winds with 1-0’ rollers on the flats.

Once out on the flat timing the major solunar period I started hitting the fish straight away. Many eater slot B.Gills crossing the gunwales. I also tagged an impressive number of B.Gill in the 80-90% slot with a Lunker b.gill at 92% master angler rating.

Near dusk I pulled up anchor to start heading back to the launch. I work a few waypoints usually on the way in and tonight was no different. I had a little time for a few casts on one of my favorite holes. Two casts in I set the hook into a brick wall. I knew instantly I was into a big cat. Several long spool burning runs later I was able to slip the net under an impressive trophy channel cat. The fish stretched the tape to 28” just shy of Master angler at 97% Master Angler Rating.

since early June the Long-Cast/.016oz Jig/Waxie has been the top producer and method.

20170928----~~<")))))><(---*Post Summer Period*--27%/74°

20170929----~~<")))))><(---*Post Summer Period*--27%/72°

20170929-I have some trips coming up with guests with little or no equipment in their posession. Taking an ice reel off one of my set-ups Pflueger Trion 4250gx with 6# Nanofil I attached it to a very economical rod I have not used in years. I bought this rod at Walmart in the mid to upper teens … economical indeed!

Tying on a micro jig with waxie I made a few casts on the lawn and was very impressed with the distance… but what about sensitivity?

I decided to take it on the trip with Dennis and I this afternoon. Dennis is focused on Long-Casting/.032oz Jig/Swim baits for B.Crappie and I on the lunker and trophy b.gill ive encountered recently on a hot pattern bite on a great stretch of water.

Once out on the hot waypoints, Dennis started connecting with the b.crappie instantly and me the b.gill… above normal in size. After many fish over the gunwales, we decided to let the spot cool and move with a drift pattern over the 9’ flat. This proved fruitless in productivity and after an hour or so we moved back to the hard bottom trough on the flat and started back up where we left off. The b.gill got bigger in avg size with a couple approaching the 10” trophy mark.

Of course the hot activity was timed to a minor solunar period.

The new set-up combination proved productive with the method and will prove to be productive in a guest’s hands.

Great outing over all with water temps still reflecting summer like in the low to mid 70’s.

...20170929-another of the better B.Gills of the day taken on the Long-Cast/Tungsten/Waxie Method

...20170929-one of the better B.Gills of the day taken on the Long-Cast/Tungsten/Waxie Method

...20170929-Nice B.Crappie tagged on the Long-Cast/Tungsten/Waxie Method

...20170929-exploited a flurry of activity with above avg slot B.Gills in the 8.5 to 9.5” range

201709209-today's hot set-up...

20171005----~~<")))))><(---*Post Summer Period*--98%/67°

20171005-I fit a trip in the late afternoon on the downslide of a major solunar period and some line of showers hitting in the next few hours. I hurriedly made it to my favorite waypoints and could not find fish… not a bite! From one waypoint to the next… nadda!

This is the point in a trip where some fishermen give up and say “they aren’t biting”… with a significant drop in surf. temps down to 67 from the low 70’s have changed the pattern.

Doing a slow drift over an 9’ expansive thinly weedy flat fancasting the Long-Cast/Ice-Jig/Pink Waxie I finally located a school tightly packed with a bunch of eaters in the 7-8” slot. Anchoring I worked the school efficiently tagging fish quickly and consistently.

Making the long cast I lost two very solid fish that didn’t make it to the boat and tore free from the small hook.

The trip was cut short when the showers moved in.

...finally found them on a 9’ weedy flat

20171006----~~<")))))><(---*Post Summer*--92%/67°

20171006- I had a great time fishing with my son Kenny on a high solunar percentage day.

We spent the trip Long-Casting/Tiny Jigs and hooked up with many panfish both crappies and B.Gills. no lunker fish were caught in both species but the action was there and kept us busy tagging fish the whole trip.

Fish were still holding in their summer period pattern along edges, pockets and troughs in the weedy flats. My favorite jig pattern was the tiny ice tungstens tipped with GULP pink Maggots… Kenny stuck with the 1” Apex swim minnows on a 1/32 oz jig head.

20171006-good time fishing with my son Kenny working the mid flats at the nine foot level found some action with the panfish

20171119----~~<")))))><(---*Cold Water Period*--/44°

20171119-the cold water season came upon me before I knew it… I basically held back from the lake and fishing to get quite a few chores done around the house before the holidays.

I have only been out Long-Casting from shore a few times this Cold Water Period with some short sessions tagging a few SMB’s from shore. Hopefully I can finesse one last trip before the ice transition period.

1103171817-SMB Long Casting/.06 oz Swim Jig

20171018-second cast SMB at 17.5“ Long-Cast/.06 Jig/2” Swim Bait

20171017-Nice 19“ class SMB on a Long-Cast .06oz Jig/2” Swim Jig

RSS

Latest Activity

Gary O. Klatt left a comment for Ryan Davis
"Hi Ryan ... Gary Klatt here, we have emailed each a couple of times ... want to come up this year,…"
4 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jack Sandlin's photo
Thumbnail

fish 2

"Nice work Jack........Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!"
17 hours ago
John Sheehan replied to Allen Morgan's discussion Various accessory gear in the group www.BigBullhead.com
"I use to set out three rods with bells for bullheads at dusk . Had too many swallow the size1…"
23 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on Bruce Condello's group www.BigBullhead.com
"Carl I guess what ever Circle hook size,would compare with a #1 Baitholder  hook which is what…"
23 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on Bruce Condello's group www.BigBullhead.com
"NOT TERRIBLY FAR FROM ME: NY Record :White Catfish 10 lb. 5 oz. 25.5 Joe Silicato Jig & Cut…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on Jacob Hill's group Rock Bass
"Very close to where I live: NY State Record Rock Bass 1 lb. 15 oz. n/a Eric Avogardo Live shiner…"
yesterday
LedHed commented on LedHed's photo
Thumbnail

Another 2lb CNBG

"thnx Jeff - she's probably 14" - 15". Don't see too many knot head…"
yesterday
Jeff Soto commented on LedHed's photo
Thumbnail

Another 2lb CNBG

"Wow!  That fish is over 12 inches.  Too cool. I'd like to see how thick it is.…"
yesterday
Jack Sandlin posted photos
yesterday
LedHed posted photos
Monday
Thumbnail

Another 2lb CNBG

"thnx SS "
Monday
DAVID L EITUTIS commented on DAVID L EITUTIS's photo
Thumbnail

10/6/17 I brought home 16 for a meal ...

"YUP STILL AROUND KEITH..... NOT ON HERE MUCH ANYMORE CAUSE THE FISHING WAS LOUSY HERE THIS YEAR…"
Monday
Slip Sinker commented on LedHed's photo
Thumbnail

Another 2lb CNBG

"…HAWG ALERT!!! wow what an awesome fish!! Congrats LH!!"
Monday
Thumbnail

Another 2lb CNBG

"thought I was stuck in the rocks LOL"
Monday
Slip Sinker replied to Slip Sinker's discussion SLIP’S 2017 LOGS, STATUS AND STRATEGIES
"20171119-the cold water season came upon me before I knew it… I basically held back from the…"
Sunday
Slip Sinker replied to Slip Sinker's discussion SLIP’S 2017 LOGS, STATUS AND STRATEGIES
"20171119----~~<")))))><(---*Cold Water Period*--/44°"
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"Mother Nature won this weekend on the Albemarle.......Small Craft Advisories weren't lifted until late today.....have to get them this week"
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on LedHed's photo
Thumbnail

Another 2lb CNBG

"What an awesome fish!"
Sunday
LedHed posted photos
Sunday

© 2017   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service