Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Views: 5896

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

20170707----~~<")))))><(---*Summer Period*--81°

20170708----~~<")))))><(---*Summer Period*--81°

20170709----~~<")))))><(---*Summer Period*--81°

20170709-Lepomis and B.Crappies were the main target today using the Long-Casting/tiny-jigs technique. We had such a great time yesterday during the start of the 3-day period of the full moon we decided to try to replicate that success today!

Using the Solunar tables we would be on the water during a major and minor periods… the minor period would be in line with the sunset which is a bonus.

We only brought Long-Caster Ultra Lites set-up with us and left drop-shot and slip/float systems at home. We would be using the tiny 1” to 2” long swim baits mounted and glued on 1/64 to 1/32 oz jig heads. I also had a rig set-ip with a 1/64 oz jig and waxie with Lepomis as the target.

The Master Angler B.Crappie is now my immediate focus and today would have been a great day to fill that slot.

The bite in the warm 81 deg water didn’t disappoint. We caught many Lepomis, Crappie and LMB seemingly at will. Many crappie were tagged in the 10-12” range. The fish were positioned just off the first break at 10’ FOW.

What a pleasant surprise to tag so many LMB’s on the tiny baits. Put the bait in the fish zone and it appears to be inevitable.

...20170709-7 LMBs on Long-Casting/Micro-Jigs & .016 oz Jig/Pink Waxie combos… demons in the hot water.

...20170709-Put the bait in the zone!!!... Long-Casting/.016 oz Jig/Pink Waxie

...20170709-Full Moon in July… soooo many fish our hands were bleeding at the end of the day!… Long-Casting/Tiny-Jigs & Pink Waxies... the LMB's beat us up... what a day!

20170710----~~<")))))><(---*Summer Period*--79°

20170710-after checking Minute Cast and seeing no rain in the forecast for at least 2 hours Dennis and I decided to fish a private lake 10 miles north of us good with the B.Gill and B.Crappie bite. Stopped at the store on the way there for refreshments checked the Minute Cast again and saw a segment of showers lasting 10 mins a hour ahead of us we decide it would be ok to weather out…. I had rain gear Dennis would be without.

Got to the lake and it started raining checked the Minute Cast Again and it was lit up like a Christmas tree with t’storms for the next 2 hours… apparently just traveling 10 miles north put us on the southerly edge of a line of storms that popped up out of now where. Packed it in and went back home and put in at Wixom Lake where the forecast showed just spotty showers… packed up some rain gear for Dennis and headed out

Water temps were a little cooler 75 degs and calm seas with mostly cloudy skies.

Started working the bridge vertically jigging the columns and swim jigging the edges with Long-Casting set-ups. I hooked up immediately with a nice 90% plus Master Angler Rated B.Gill that in haled the Lil Minnow twitched in 5 FOW. Dennis continued with the 1” Apex Minnow finding no action. I followed with a few nice B.Crappie.

Tne next waypoint was a stretch of original lake channel that approached close to shore at 9’. Spotting several fish blips on the sonar I presumed they were B.Crappie then tagged a few. Dennis continued being blanked with the Apex Minnow.

The next spot Dennis switched to the Lil Minnow and tagged a few Y.Perch and B.Gill by casting to the bank letting rest on the bottom and twitching back in. one nice B.Gill took the bait at complete rest sitting on the hard bottom.

Heading in we stopped at one more of my popular B.Crappie spots. I tagged a couple nice B.Crappie straight away and Dennis missed a 16” plus with a bad hook set…. Heart breaking! With that we ended the trip and headed back.

...20170710-Nice B.Gill tagged Long-Casting the Lil Minnow

...20170710-short trip interrupted by weather forecast and t’storms… tagged some nice B.Crappie and 93% Master Angler hen

20170711----~~<")))))><(---*Summer Period*--83°

20170711-so after missing a great opportunity tagging a 16” plus B.Crappie the night before... to cheer him up I decided to take Dennis to one of my favorite lakes for Lepomis. We timed the trip to a Major Solunar period to be on a string of my favorite spots for lunker fish which includes one of my trophy P.Seed waypoints.

The afternoon was hot and sunny, little wind with air temps near 90 and water surf temps in the low eighties.

We started along a nice stretch of shoreline to slowly work our way to the area I just recently tagged a certificate P.Seed.

We tagged many B.Gill while Long-Casting/Tiny-Jigs… Dennis had a great tempo going with the 1” Apex Minnow while I worked the Pink-Waxie and Lil Minnow on the Long-Casters. As we hit the trophy P.Seed spot Dennis tagged a trophy 9” er on the Apex Minnow at the solunar peak!…. His first certificate fish!. Congrats Dennis… you’re in the books!

what a great feeling to put family and friends on some nice fishing!

20170711-While we were “Fishing By the Numbers For the Numbers” mid Major Solunar period Dennis tags a trophy P.Seed Long-Casting/.016 oz Jig/Apex Minnow… Congrats!!!

20170711-While the local fishermen were napping and waiting for the dusk bite, Dennis and I were tapping in and cashing out on the Major solunar period mid afternoon with heat. Dennis=Master Angler

20170713----~~<")))))><(---*Summer Period*--79°

20170713~ Dennis and I decided to fish a mid-sized natural lake for the B.Crappie and B.Gill bite… our plan of strategy was to rely mainly on the long-casters with the tiny jigs. It’s a strategy that works for me in nearly every fishing period on the calendar. If there is space to cast or vertically jig I feel confident on catching fish.

The day’s solunar rating was at 49%... and we did well. Dennis found a great tempo with the B.Crappies with the Long-Casting/.016 oz Jig/Apex Minnow. I concentrated mainly on the B.Gill with the Long-Casting/.015 oz Jig/Pink Waxie. B.Gill focus on this bait more than the B.Crappie. We fished between the docks Long-Casting/.016 oz Jig/Pink Waxie and found some great action with the B.Gill.

in between traveling from waypoint to waypoint we stopped at and pitched too and under some nice looking docks... shooting one of the docks i was greatly rewarded with a nice mid 10's R.Bass

We later found a remote corner at the end of a bay that held countless B.Crappie fishing between downpours we could see coming in.

Nice trip with a good friend!

20170713-Nice B.Crappie Long-Casting/Micro Jig/.016 jig/1” Apex Minnow

20170713-nice Bull Male caught on the deep break Vertically- Jigging/.016 oz jig/Pink/Waxie

20170713-Nice R.Bass Long-Casting/Micro Jig/Pink Waxie.

i used the Long-Casting/Micro Jig/Pink Waxie set-up to shoot under the dock to tag this nice R.Bass!

...20170713- had a great time fishing with Dennis this week while he was staying with us… great times and memories fishing!

20170715----~~<")))))><(---*Summer Period*--79°

20170716----~~<")))))><(---*Summer Period*--81°

RSS

Latest Activity

carl hendrix commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

The Spot

"OH YEA !!!  THIS WILL DO IT !  CONGRATS ON THE CATCHES JOHN !"
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

Greg the Netmeister

"GREG LOOKS -- (((  READY ??? )))  FOR ANYTHING !!  LOLOL  GREAT PIX GUYS…"
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

12" Smallmouth

"THE MUSIC MAN !!  WITH A NICE SMALLIE !  GOOD CATCH JOHN !"
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

Net Practice

"LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL !!!!!!!!!  BEST CATCH OF THE DAY !!!  WAY TO GO GREG !!!"
1 hour ago
Slip Sinker replied to Slip Sinker's discussion SLIP’S 2017 LOGS, STATUS AND STRATEGIES
"20170922----~~<")))))><(---*Post Summer Period*--71%/74°"
13 hours ago
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Bluegill #1 9-21-17

"Thanks. Now we need some length. There are longer ones in the pond they just seam to have lockjaw."
15 hours ago
Thumbnail

Seed 9-21-17

"I don't have to many. The ones I have were caught in lakes and transferred to my pond."
15 hours ago
Thumbnail

Bull Gill 9-21-17

"Thanks Ken even the colors are starting to show. In the spring they were bland looking with no…"
15 hours ago
Thumbnail

Gill 9-21-17

"Thanks Ken the fish are getting some girth on them now."
15 hours ago
Thumbnail

Shad Popper 2017

"Thank Ken."
15 hours ago
Thumbnail

Popper 2018

"Thanks Carl now the real work begins."
15 hours ago
Slip Sinker posted photos
16 hours ago
Slip Sinker replied to Slip Sinker's discussion SLIP’S 2017 LOGS, STATUS AND STRATEGIES
"20170921-Earl and I setup another trip… this time it would be on the local reservoir that I…"
16 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Greg the Netmeister

"LOL Its a net we used on a Pontoon Boat."
16 hours ago
Slip Sinker commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Greg the Netmeister

"…that's one serious b.gill net!"
17 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
17 hours ago
"20170920-Earl and I set up a trip for today I day after the New Moon… im still reeling from…"
17 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
17 hours ago
Allen Morgan replied to Slip Sinker's discussion SLIP’S 2017 LOGS, STATUS AND STRATEGIES
"Both rods are leashed when I'm fishing this way.  I have some parachord tied to padeyes…"
18 hours ago

© 2017   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service