Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Views: 5896

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

20170815----~~<")))))><(---*Summer Period*--20%-mid 70's°

20170815~I took a short trip on the kayak to meet up with the Major period starting at 18:20-21:20… perfect scenario if you think about it. A Major period overlapping a bite triggering sunset at 20:20… perfect right… you would think… still given it was a 20% day overall on the Lunar calendar… and it felt like it.

Took 20 mins to get the first bite … a midsized B.Gill with the Long-Casting/.016 oz Jig/Chartreuse Waxie. I found a log and laydown strewn bank (new for this season) and the b.gill just ate that little waxie up. All eater slot in size.

Moving on down to a popular laydown extending into 9 ft of water… I tagged a little r.bass and miscellaneous panfish Vertical-Jigging/016 oz Jig/Lil-Minnow near the bottom… Twitch, twitch and twitch…

Before leaving the spot I fancasted the Long-Cast/.032 oz/Mid-Minnow and hooked up with a lunker B.Crappie at just under 14”… made my evening!

The bite stopped suddenly at near sunset… for some reason it is typical with this lake… even the low light feeding b.crappie end their bite.

I’ve been wanting to do a nite time trip during a Major-Day/Major-Month period… there is a possibility coming up with the New Moon august/21 at 00:00-02:40 am… should be a good bite for trophy b.crappie.

...20170815~just missed the mark on a nice B.Crappie…

20170815~slow bite on a slow Solunar day at 20%...

20170817----~~<")))))><(---*Summer Period*--17% Solunar/76°

20170817~waited most of the day for a let up in the rain… late in the afternoon there was a window of opportunity of spotty t’storms and showers for a 2 hr period… I jumped on it and I don’t know why… it was a 17% solunar day… bottom of the scale for the month.

I decided to fish the lake with the last 2 certificate fish tagged. Took me about 45 mins to get on the water… got caught up in a conversation at the dock with some locals. Locals can be goldmines of info at times and I’m always willing to listen as well as share.

Once out on the water I immediately located fish at my waypoints. I could not detect a thermocline any longer on this BOW. I was at the peak on the minor period on the 17% solunar day and the fish seemed neutral. It took quite a bit of effort to coax a bite and I ended up tagging a few eater slot gills while weathering the intermittent showers.

I decided to pack it up after snapping 12” of tip off the new rod and thunder looming in the background.

20170817~Slow day on the lake... with t'storms found the fish but not willing to bite in numbers 

.20170817~Best B.Gill of the day at just 8“ class Tagged Vertical Jig/Tungsten/Chartreuse Waxie

20170820----~~<")))))><(---*Summer Period*--89% Solunar/76°

20170820-i had my good buddy Jerry up from Florida spending some quality time with us. He expressed interest in spending some time out on the water learning some Long-Casting/Tiny Jigs methods and techniques. So I picked one of my active lakes with quantities of biters as well as trophies in the mix.

The first trip was catch and release to get used to the gear and maybe hook up with a trophy certificate. The second trip was to secure enough eaters for a fish dinner.

I hand selected a couple Long-Casters for Jerry baited with B.Crappie swim jigs in the 1/64 oz class.

It didn’t take Jerry long before he was on to the LMB, B.Gills and the B.Crappie… recognizing the bite, setting the hook and winching them in with the 8# GLISS.

I hooked up with a couple Lunkers… a B.Gill nine inch class and a close to the mark P.Seed 9 inch class.

Great memories with a great friend!

20170820~so many P.Seeds just under the mark this season!

20170820~near 10” class B.Gill tagged Long-Casting/.016 oz Jig/Chartreuse Waxie

20170820~Had a great time fishing with my buddy Jerry from Florida… Long-Casting/Tiny Jigs on a small reservoir.

20170821----~~<")))))><(---*Summer Period*--91% Solunar/77°

20170825----~~<")))))><(---*Summer Period*--22% Solunar/74°

20170827----~~<")))))><(---*Summer Period*--15% Solunar/74°

20170827-so here I am an addicted panfish fisherman itching to go out even on those bad days… today was forecasted to be “BAD” all the way around… weather (rain Showers) and solunar at 15%.

I headed out with either of two lakes in mind… it was a toss up. I currently hold 2 Master Angler certificates on each and they were just minutes apart. I picked the tough lake just a few minutes further down the blacktop.

Even as a kid in Little League… you want to get better at hitting the ball?… practice against the best pitcher on the team. Want to tag more panfish on your future trips? Fish some bad days, develop your methods and wean yourselves off the spawning beds. Summer trophy B.Gills are deep, shallow and in between.

I put my best techniques and methods to work that day on the lake and nearly came up empty… best b.gill to eight-inch class with some dinks in between. Best method was dropping a vertical presentation using sonar into schools of fish…watch the fish bite or choose to ignore.

My excuse?... it was a 15% solunar day… one of the worse days in the month to fish and I’m on the lake tuning presentations. for me those are the best times to practice and tweak a presentation.

A finely tuned and practiced technique gets a few bites on those tough days but look out on those great days! I know I’ll be rewarded.

20170827~Best B.Gill of the day and alot of dinks Long-Casting/.016 oz Jig/Pink Waxie

20170828----~~<")))))><(---*Summer Period*--53% Solunar/72°

20170828-timed an outing at the last minute to catch a Major solunar period just before dusk. When you have a solunar major or minor overlapping a sunrise sunset your usually in for a great trip.

I arrived at the boat launch 1 hr before the Major period was to begin. I could not beg for a bite during that time. I fished many productive waypoints but the fish would not budge. This is where many fisherman not aware of solunar activity start changing color on their baits and developing the bad habits… the lull periods.

Finally as the time settled in to the major period the bite picked up at an accelerated pace. a nice Brownie took the Mid-Minnow for a ride with some amazing acrobatics.

The long-casting/.06 Jig/Waxies were the highlight of the show… Long-Casting/.06 Jig/Swim Baits followed a close second with the B.Crappie.

I finished the sunset with a junior N.Pike tag that ran the drag a bit.

...20170828-nice acrobatic SMB taking the B.Gill bait

...20170827~fished a major solunar period at dusk and scored… many fish in a short period of time.

RSS

Latest Activity

carl hendrix commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

The Spot

"OH YEA !!!  THIS WILL DO IT !  CONGRATS ON THE CATCHES JOHN !"
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

Greg the Netmeister

"GREG LOOKS -- (((  READY ??? )))  FOR ANYTHING !!  LOLOL  GREAT PIX GUYS…"
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

12" Smallmouth

"THE MUSIC MAN !!  WITH A NICE SMALLIE !  GOOD CATCH JOHN !"
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

Net Practice

"LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL !!!!!!!!!  BEST CATCH OF THE DAY !!!  WAY TO GO GREG !!!"
1 hour ago
Slip Sinker replied to Slip Sinker's discussion SLIP’S 2017 LOGS, STATUS AND STRATEGIES
"20170922----~~<")))))><(---*Post Summer Period*--71%/74°"
13 hours ago
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Bluegill #1 9-21-17

"Thanks. Now we need some length. There are longer ones in the pond they just seam to have lockjaw."
15 hours ago
Thumbnail

Seed 9-21-17

"I don't have to many. The ones I have were caught in lakes and transferred to my pond."
15 hours ago
Thumbnail

Bull Gill 9-21-17

"Thanks Ken even the colors are starting to show. In the spring they were bland looking with no…"
15 hours ago
Thumbnail

Gill 9-21-17

"Thanks Ken the fish are getting some girth on them now."
15 hours ago
Thumbnail

Shad Popper 2017

"Thank Ken."
15 hours ago
Thumbnail

Popper 2018

"Thanks Carl now the real work begins."
15 hours ago
Slip Sinker posted photos
15 hours ago
Slip Sinker replied to Slip Sinker's discussion SLIP’S 2017 LOGS, STATUS AND STRATEGIES
"20170921-Earl and I setup another trip… this time it would be on the local reservoir that I…"
16 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Greg the Netmeister

"LOL Its a net we used on a Pontoon Boat."
16 hours ago
Slip Sinker commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Greg the Netmeister

"…that's one serious b.gill net!"
17 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
17 hours ago
"20170920-Earl and I set up a trip for today I day after the New Moon… im still reeling from…"
17 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
17 hours ago
Allen Morgan replied to Slip Sinker's discussion SLIP’S 2017 LOGS, STATUS AND STRATEGIES
"Both rods are leashed when I'm fishing this way.  I have some parachord tied to padeyes…"
17 hours ago

© 2017   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service