Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

The past few seasons it’s been season outdoing the last. Knowledge base on top of knowledge base. Building on some great info from this site and time on the water. I’m anticipating and looking forward to even better results with more citation fish. Anyway that’s the game plan.

Last year was the season of fishing TINY. Thin UL Lines loaded on tiny 50 series reels and light UL rods tossing tiny baits in front of fish targets…quantities of quality panfish and trophy SMB. Tossed the baits into thick cover with reckless abandon. Tiny presentations under slip bobbers thrown next to thick weed slop and weed pockets. Mid day fishing out of the kayak in less than two feet of water and tagging quality fish. Never really had another fishing boat come close to me fishing. it was like i had the lake to myself. looking forward to making some more good memories in the upcoming season.

Looking forward to any hints suggestions or comments from the BBG membership… sharing is the best way to learn and progress!

hope everyone a successful "2016 Open Water Season"

Views: 1762

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

20160205- ...------<")))))><(

0205161750a - TESTING THE ICE

reconnaissance on my "home Lake after the big rain... river channel w/current completely open... still solid 9 inches of ice 40' away from edge. spotted one fish working the bottom with the sonar ended up to be an 8" Y.Perch.

20160207- ...------<")))))><( _______________________________________________________________________________

20160207- looking to implement a different strategy today... small shallow muddy flats with a still fishing slip float rig... stealth will be key today...very shallow water and brighter skies. This is the rig I’ll be using...

20160207- I had a set plan in my mind for the ice yesterday… using the contour maps I created last year for this body and accounting for the vegetative and bottom composition I located some small shallow muddy flats less than 4 ft of water. The surrounding area is hard bottom gravel void of weeds even during peak summer periods.

I setup a slip-float rig with a small foam float and #12 circle hook baited with waxies. The circle hook would be implemented on this rig because there would be some times where the rig might be unattended. ive had great luck pulling the bait out of a fishes gullet without doing any harm.

Once out on the ice I drilled a few holes I thought would be in key locations according to my GPS mapping on my Elite 4 HDI. I immediately set the slip float rig in the first hole then continued drilling about three or more close proximity (10ft radius) holes. then checked the slip float rig… FISH ON!. The rod was showing a little strain sitting in its rod holder and I immediately landed a 7” class y’perch. Which ended up being one of the largest of the day.

I tagged one after another small perch then decided to move out a bit deeper for larger class fish… nothing. I decided to continue fishing the small perch holes but make use of it practicing and setting up the sonar for shallow fishing. Found some great tweaked settings. I used the time well studying, tweaking and practicing with the remainder of the afternoon.

The final count was estimated at between 20- 30 small perch. Most were caught on the tiny tungsten jig with a trigger x mustache worm hooked wacky style.

I never use floats ice fishing even dead sticking I don't understand the advantage . Can you tell me what the advantage is slip .

in Michigan we're allowed (3) lines in the water per angler… ice fishing I will at most times have at least (2) in the water as much as possible. Last year I left a jig rod in the water unattended and a fish swallowed the tungsten jig. I had to clean the fish on the spot to secure the jig deep in the fishes gullet! So knowing this experience and there was going to be probabilities that my bait will be in the water unattended minutes at a time because of exploration hole drilling etc I elected to use the slip bobber and circle hook .  My experience so far even with swallowed hooks they pull right out of a fish’s gullet not harming the fish. When using a float I tend to catch more fish with hook and bait then with jig and bait also. When sitting on a hot spot strategy comes in handy jigging with one and slip bobbering with the other.

This video always come to mind when doing this… its an entertaining video as well

I deadstick with out a float and jig nearby .I don't know which is best but I always thought a float was not good on ice at times of light bites which is often the case . Too much resistance with even a small float and since you are vertical don't really need it . Never got that about using floats while ice fishing .Still don't get it .We can have 5 lines out in Jersey .Gotta read up on the limit of hooks .I sometimes use tandems .

I use one straight line reel and spring bobber indicators on dead sticked rods as well.

20160208-When I go on the ice I usually take 4 rods nowadays

1.            (2) Uls for micro jigging

2.            Float rig

3.            L rig for larger baits

My theory currently…

Just like you I dead stick one rig while letting one jig st vertically in the zone. When dead sticking a jig with a tipping I do hook fish but not as many as a float with a small hook and bait… the fish seem to hold on to it longer with the float rig. If I’m dead sticking the rod is held on the ice with my wire stand. When I notice the rod tip dance or twitch while sitting in the stand by the time im setting the hook a lot of bites are lost. Maybe just as you say they feel resistance in this case the rod tip or taste the jig and spit it out.

Now the way I setup my slip float system I use is a circle hook at the end … split shot about 3” up … enough weight to balance the float at its most sensitive at just below neutral buoyancy… so its almost weightless in the water… fixed or slip it is at its most sensitive nature. No stretch line helps in the self hook setting properties of this rig. The float is floating at the surface near neutral or weightlessness in the water continuing with some slack line to the reel and finally the rod sits on the wire stand bail closed.

snap of the wire stand...

When the fish takes the small hook hidden with bait it either sits there or swallows or if he’s in a school they usually turn and make a run due to competition. The fish tightens up on the small amount of loose line. The circle hook catches in the corner of its mouth and the fish works against the resistance of the rod held securely by the wire holder thereby setting the hook. In most cases a self hook setting system with all components working together.

A few times yesterday I saw the float disappear under the ice while I was removing a fish from the jig rig. The worked jig proved to be the best bite.

Fun overall

20160209- ...------<")))))><(

20160209-trying to put a last minute outing together before the single digits hit for the rest of the week ... polar vortex round #2...its a small lake that doesn't receive a lot of attention and is very difficult to fish. two years ago i mapped about half of it ... i have it loaded on my sonar.

basins for crappie is the initial strategy for the day

then B'Gills in the shallow weeds.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
6 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
6 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
7 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
7 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
7 hours ago
7 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service