Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Is there going to be a  Rendezvous 2019?   Haven't seen any posts about it.  Thanks

Views: 429

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

No response?  

Hey Riverman.....Happy New Year......the members that organize this event have not been on in a few weeks......I'm sure after everything settles down from the holidays they will log on and respond........although I personally haven't been able to attend its my understanding they plan to get together again in 2019..........

...man... i would love to spend a week down there before the outing prefishing 

Don't know yet ,just wondering how much response we will have this year ?    LOFR

I don't know anything about Kentucky Lake, but a longtime bluegill fisherman told me that Reelfoot Lake was the place to go for some of the best bluegill action in the south.  

Reelfoot has been on down cycle lately. Even local guides are baffled. Some people think it's the Asian Carp.

I learn something new every day.  

my guess would be overharvesting, a lake that size cant continue to get hammered year after year with people leaving with coolers of bluegill but the carp certainly doesnt help matters. a couple of TWRA family lakes is beginning to the effects of the same Gibson Co, Graham, etc. even with the limit restrictions on some of those lakes.  i know a guy that kept 1200 filetable gills out of those two lakes and he is now wondering why he only caught 6” gills last year.

gills at KY lake are in good shape from Jville to Big Richland and the shellcrackers are doing pretty good too.  this year we caught a bunch of 8-9 inch fish.  it didnt start getting really started until the middle of June.  it was a cool rainy spring and the bass and channel cats had a late spawn and was feeding on bluegill more heavily than usual.  i think they ran a lot of bluegill out of their beds in May.  it was a strange year and may be a repeat this year, idk.

anyhoo, hope everyone has a good, safe year. 

I have found some good fishing locally as the meat hunters have moved on.I can usually catch 10 or 15 8 inch plus gills on any given day.A redear here and there and some big green sunfish.These are little lakes,ponds and quarries in forest preserves and nature areas.The bigger lakes get pounded .

Fishing pressure on Reelfoot is heavier than ever I agree. Gibson County Lake has very few keeper sized bluegills now. The Shellcrackers are doing good but they are attracting more and more fishermen. I haven't fished Graham lately. I like the small lakes around Natchez Trace State Park especially Brown's Creek Lake for Bluegill and Crackers. 

I live three miles from the closest launch on Kentucky Lake, and I am planning a trip to Reelfoot this spring. While there has been talk of Reelfoot not being what it was, it is still a good place for big numbers of BG. I did not say big BG, but lots of them. The problem with Kentucky Lake is that there are so many bays and inlets and pocket waters there is no way to know where and when the BG bite is on. I can only hope to get lucky when I head that way. I would be more than happy to meet up with anyone coming to Kentucky Lake or Barkley (known for BIG red ears) starting this spring. 

Hey Clint I'm a little over an hour from KY lake and about 40 minutes from Reelfoot. I would love to fish Barkley sometime. 

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
2 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
2 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
3 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
3 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
3 hours ago
3 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
22 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service