Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Hey guys,

My in-laws have a pond behind their place that has fountains and is kept/cared for by their community. They put some sort of chemicals in the pond that I believe is to keep the weeds down.

Endothall-aquathol k=do not use for domestic purposes or agriculture irrigation for 15 days and chelated copper-captain xtr.

Can I catch and eat gills from this pond, or should I pass? It's like torture every time I go there.

I need to know!

Thanks!

Views: 313

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Craig, those are both common aquatic herbicides and are both rated for use in ponds with fish in them.  You should be fine in eating the fish.

Craig, I'm not sure what I am doing here but I have tried twice to respond to your comment on pond chemicals. I'm new to BBG and have not figured out how to respond properly. I would like to add something to this discussion if possible. I am an environmental chemist and an organic gardener and personally I am not a fan of herbicides or pesticides. Copper sulfate in aquatic compounds is not necessarily safe for human consumption. Since the gills will eat large numbers of insects dead or alive, they can build up chemical concentrations in their belly fat which are then consumed when you eat the fish. Copper is one of ten regulated metals in land application of Biosolids and not something you want in your system.    morgan

Duane that is very interesting. Certainly, copper sulfate can accumulate in the sediment on a pond bottom over time, but most modern algaecides, Captain XTR included, use a chelated copper compound. And while I agree that the use of chemicals in a pond or lake should be judicious, studies have shown that chelated copper compounds are lower in elemental copper than copper sulfate, AND they release the copper ion more slowly and are less toxic to fish and zooplankton.

What if you skipped eating the belly? Kind of wasteful, but if it works...more than made up for by convenience of the pond.

Craig, I've never found belly fat to be very prevalent on most natural forage Bluegill. Speaking personally, my family and I have no qualms about eating BG from our ponds, which are treated with chelated copper every summer. Maybe you could research the application rates of Captain XTR, and see just how much might be considered detrimental, then find out what amount the community is putting in the pond?

RSS

Latest Activity

pat left a comment for carl hendrix
"I have gone on ebay and ordered line through them I have had good luck with these lines and they…"
Wednesday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group East coast Ice fisherman
"Oh I see you've done that in the past"
Wednesday
"Bruce! Good to hear from you .5 times huh ,good Man! I only got out twice. How'd you do ?Any…"
Monday
Bruce Tomaselli commented on John Sheehan's group East coast Ice fisherman
"I don't know how to begin a new topic, although this one is a sad one. My ice is done for the…"
Monday
"Sounds great ,thanks Jim!"
Monday
John Sheehan commented on Jim Gronaw's photo
Thumbnail

New Winter, Open Water PB

"Amazing stats on Bass catches Jim !"
Monday
Jim Gronaw commented on John Sheehan's group East coast Ice fisherman
"I just started using blades...try the Damiki Vault at 1/2 oz for those big ice out pickerel and…"
Monday
Jim Gronaw commented on Jim Gronaw's photo
Thumbnail

"Yes John she was heavy...not a six but certainly over 5. We got 35 bass over 20 inches last year…"
Monday
Thumbnail

"Excellent Bass! 'bout 5# I guess."
Sunday
"Great Crappie Jim ! I'll have to give blade baits a try!"
Sunday
Sunday
Thumbnail

Blade Bait Crappie at 14 inches

"Hope all is well with you and your gang...catch a bunch!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

"Thanks guys! We were locked up with skim ice til this week so I did get back out for a few dinks..."
Sunday
Jim Gronaw commented on John Sheehan's group East coast Ice fisherman
"Wow John nice work!! No ice fishing here this year as we had only skim ice recently and that kept…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

21,1/2"Bowfin/Dogfish

"According to this chart a 21.5" Bowfin weighs close to 3.5 #   Chapter 17:…"
Feb 27
John Sheehan commented on Bruce Condello's group www.BigBullhead.com
"6#11oz. Channel Cat hit a Trolled Crankbait in the Dog Days of Summer,"
Feb 26
John Sheehan commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's group The Big and Ugly
Feb 26
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_1689

"Thanks Jeffrey!"
Feb 26
John Sheehan replied to David, aka, "McScruff"'s discussion BUK PERRY FANS?
"1st time i heard of Leadcore line was on a fishing trip to Maine years ago. .I was there for…"
Feb 25
dick tabbert replied to David, aka, "McScruff"'s discussion BUK PERRY FANS?
"Unfortunately for me all I have now is my plug never used. I was good till he got talking lead line."
Feb 24

© 2021   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service