Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I am new to this forum, looking forward to getting involved in the future.  My wife and I are both retired and our favorite hobby is probably fishing.  We like to fish for many different species, but probably our favorite fish is bluegill.  We own a recreational farm in SE Nebraska that also includes a small fishing pond.  Every summer our oldest grandson, who is now 8, spends a week with us at the farm.  If we let him, he would probably spend every waking hour fishing for bluegills in our farm pond.  Nothing real big, but good eating size. 

I do have a question that I am hoping somebody might be able to assist me with.  I have attached a picture of a panfish Jig that we purchased sometime ago.  This jig has become my wife's favorite jig to use.  Unfortunately, we only have a couple of the jigs left, and I have been unable to find a source to purchase additional jigs like this.  If anybody knows what this jig is called or where we might be able to purchase more, we would very much appreciate the information. 

Thanks. 

Views: 736

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The pic was a tad small for me to see real well. However, the jig head itself appears to be of a darter head configuration. Some may refer to this shape as a shad type head. Try the various ice fishing outlets such as Northland, H.T. Enterprises, Clam, Lindy, J.B.Lures, just name a few. You may likely find something very similar with that type of head that will work as well. Insofar as the dressing? I can't say as I'm not a fly guy. There are some fly guys here and maybe they'll be able to I.D. the dressing/wraps.

not a real good pix;;( have you been taking lessons from me on how to take a bad pix??  LOL   it might be a trout magnate type jig;; the dressing looked like marabou;;something we fly- jig tiers use a lot of.  Jim Gronaw;; Allan Morgan; David ( tooty) Eititus   Dick Tabbert;;  may know better than me what it is..  all of these guys tie jigs and make flys

Welcome Duane ... I didn't recognize it... what material is the skirt made of?

I'm thinking it was a minnow-head of some kind.  Not sure if the eyes are molded into the lead, or applied after painting.  What's the skirt?  Looks like rubber skirt material used for bass spinnerbaits.

I'm pretty sure I could replicate those.  What weight jig?  What size/type of hook?

Allen, 

I am going to try and take a better picture as soon as my camera battery is recharged.  the head is shaped something like a minnow head, not rounded, thinner on top and wider on the bottom.  It would appear that the eyes are molded into the lead somehow.  the skirt is a rubber skirt material as you indicated.  Not sure, but probably a 1/16 ounce jig. 

Duane, I've checked with a couple on-line suppliers that I know of.  Neither carries the jighead that I think this is.  I've got a feeler out on a jig-tying forum as well.  Hopefully I'll hear something soon.

How about this one?

Ignore the paint.  Not sure if yours had the wire bait keeper.

Allen, 

They look fairly close, but not exactly the same as the jig I was referring to.  This one doesn't include the wire bait keeper.  I have been gone for the past week and haven't had a chance to try to take a better picture of the jig.  My guess though from all of the responses to me initial posting is that whomever made this jig, probably doesn't sell or make them anymore. 

Blue Fox ,makes a spin/Jig that looks kinda like that head .  http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Fox-Spinner-Jig-2-Size-Set-1-8-1-16-Pe...

i use those for crappie john great bait for swimming around dock pilings and boat houses. ,tip with a waxie.got em at outlet tackle on line.a buck a pack.road runners are way to pricey for what they are.

great price! I think I got my Blue fox spin/jigs from outlet bait and tackle too

The good news is that I think I figured out what the name and manufacturer was of my jig that I am trying to find additional supplies of.  The bad news is that I don't believe the company makes them anymore.  Anyway, its called a "blue fox big crappie jig".  My understanding is that when Rapala purchased Blue Fox they discontinued a lot of the products that Blue fox used to market.  Anyway, I found a picture on the web of the jig that is a little better then the one I took earlier!  If anybody has any idea of somebody who may still have some of these jigs, that would be great, otherwise I am afraid my wife will probably have to find a new favorite panfish lure!  I do appreciate all of the input I received from all of you.  It helped me figure out, at least, what the name is of our mystery jig!

Attachments:

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
9 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
9 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
9 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
9 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
9 hours ago
9 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
Tuesday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service