Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I got up early to day to try out a new spot. We had a lot of rain yesterday, and that tends to mess with my favorite spot, the river. So I went to a park the county maintains. This was my first visit to the site.

At the park is an old mill pond of about 30 acres. At the deepest it is probably not more than 15 feet, and the edges are thick with elodea and various shore growths. This make it pretty tough to access the water around most of the lake. But I soldiered ahead.

At the dam end is a small fishing platform, where I started tossing my patented dog food chum (all right it's not patented - I was joking. It's just moistened dog food).

Within ten minutes, I was pleased to have a surface feeding frenzy going, about 15 feet in front of me. I hadn't caught one at this point, but whatever they were - they were climbing over each other to get to my feed.

Once I figured out that slip floating and micro jigs wouldn't catch them, this is what they turned out to be:

Shiners, roach (Britain), chub...whatever you call them, musta' been a whole school of the things, I reckon. I've never seen them in any of the waters around here. They went 6"-10".

Plain #14 hook, 3 lb test line on Gulp! Natural Maggots, no weight. They would not take a worm or cricket.

I also caugth this guy:

A chunky bullhead. His pattern was reminiscent of the new digital camo seen on US military BDU's. Up close it was really interesting. He was caught on a gob of redworm, beneath one of my home made slip floats. It was in about 4 feet of water, #6 hook on 6  lb test line.

I was also chumming in this spot.

Along with these were some small basslings and bluegill, but nothing to speak of. As I was leaving, I noticed some disturbance in the water bear the dam. At my approach, I spotted two large 'somethings' lolling around in the water. When they saw me, they rolled in a flash of brown and disappeared. My guess is they were some decent sized carp. Time to break out the sweet corn!

Hope you hooked  a few!

Views: 2331

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks john. This is pretty old, and popped up in a completely random web search for something else!
But the mention of Gulp maggots on a foam or chenille bug is a good one....
Sounds like a fun outing...reading about fishing helps a little with this cabin fever we are experiencing here in the north.

Like that bullhead

RSS

Latest Activity

Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Andre Sturkey's photo
Thumbnail

BLESSED

"I love to see this! I  love the concentration////////You go Andre!"
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Andre Sturkey's photo
Thumbnail

Titus's first fish

"You're off to a great start Andre! Awesome"
yesterday
Andre Sturkey posted photos
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Sunday
Thumbnail

A Nice Limit of Black Crappie....10/24/2020

"Thanks Jack! It's  good to see a few crappie going shallow........We're later this…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Sunday
Jack Sandlin commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
Saturday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"After record heat in September, the Albemarle crappie are going shallow...limit this morning on the Pasquotank...water temps in the high 60s"
Saturday
Jim Gronaw commented on Jim Gronaw's photo
Thumbnail

Matt's Biggun'

"Thanks gents...hope all is well and be safe!"
Oct 12
John Sheehan commented on Jim Gronaw's photo
Thumbnail

Matt's Biggun'

"Wow 10 over 20 " thats a GREAT run! Hall of Fame statstics!"
Oct 12
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jim Gronaw's photo
Thumbnail

Matt's Biggun'

"Matt learned from a great angler and I'm sure proud father!"
Oct 12
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jim Gronaw's photo
Thumbnail

My Friends New PB

"This fish is addictive......it sent me back to my Toledo Bend photo albums to reminisce of GREAT…"
Oct 12
Thumbnail

Citation Warmouth....11" Class.....7/3/2020

"Appreciate it Jim!....This was a prize for me......takes me back to my childhood when you could…"
Oct 12
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Gregs15" Crappie

"Quality fish anywhere!......This is a trophy in my book John!"
Oct 12
Thumbnail

Post Spawn Coppers.....7/14/2020

"Thanks Jim......Summertime bigs!"
Oct 12
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

24" Pickerel

"Haha Thanks Jim .Greg and I had a tough day yesterday .1 Pickerel  1 Perch is all we got .…"
Oct 7
John Sheehan commented on Jim Gronaw's photo
Thumbnail

My Friends New PB

"Great Fish!"
Oct 7
Jim Gronaw commented on John Sheehan's photo
Oct 6

© 2020   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service