Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

first i was wondering if any body ever use a st croix avid rod?  which we all know why i am looking for a new rod is because of the new puppy chewed the old one up but let me say why i am looking at this rod  1st it is made in the usa (which i always try my best to buy made in usa) 2nd is that it has a life time warrenty even if my dog chewed it up.  lol  3rd  i have a st croix preimier casting rod and it is very nice but the avid is suppose to be better  4th is if i buy the same rod back it is 100 before tax and dosnt have that kind of warrenty like i want this time  but the avid rod is 140 before tax.. let me knoe if anyone has used the avid rod..Thanks  

Views: 511

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have a 54" Avid ultralight.....

Best rod I've ever owned.

Well, I don't think they are made in the USA, but my absolute favorite rods on the whole planet, are my G Loomis SR720's :) They are 6ft, 1 piece, rated for 1-4 lb mono. They just have such a sweet, smooth action. And I've caught all kinds of huge fish on them also.... up to a 75", 165 lb Sturgeon a couple months ago :) Some people might not like the sliding ring reel seat rings, but I tape "all" of my reel footings with grip tape anyway, so this makes no difference to me. Actually, it makes a small positive difference, in that I can position my reel farther forward, for better rod / reel balance. Then again, I balance all of my rods with weighted but caps anyway.

Anyway, what could be better than a sweet little micro-light thats good for panfish, to Sturgeon, and everything in between ?  :)

Oh, and SR720's are just about the cheapest G Loomis rods sold. Just over $100  :)

Peace.

Fish

SR720 is the best rod ever made.

Bruce  !  > SR720 is the best rod ever made. /p>

Right on :) Great minds must think alike :)

But Mark, I have to admit, the SR720 is not what I would call "even" a fast rod (I can't remember what they classify it). Seems pretty much moderate to me, if anything.

Actually, I greatly prefer this, being a braided line guy all the way, a softer, slower action rod is usually a plus.

Also, I greatly prefer "at least" a 6ft rod. I've looked at that higher series G Loomis 6 1/2ft, 1 piece, 1-4 for a long time. Love to try one, but won't pay more than double, just for the extra 6".

All I can say is, if they ever stop making the SR720, I don't know what I'd do. Their just isn't another comparable rod on the market. And I've searched high and low !

Peace,

Fish

you must be talking about the tennessee handles, i looked at them rods and was going to go with it but the reason i didnt was i couldnt not get a fast action in a 5' rod they only make a moderate action in 5' and you have to go to a 6' just to get a mad fast and then a 6'6" to get a fast action, i wade the creeks alot with my kids and also friends and anything over a 5' is just to long, and went back to st croix web site again and check the avid rods again and it says Designed and handcrafted in the Park Falls, U.S.A.  

Yes!

Another fan of shorter ultralight rods!

Anytime you're wading the creek, or the brush and trees come right down to the water's edge, (all the time for me), a short rod is your best friend.

Grab that 54" Avid. It's amazing. If you fish primarily on foot, you'll love it.

Be aware, that particular rod was special order only when I bought mine......

I really wish I preferred a shorter micro-light, as then my choices would be nearly endless. 6ft or greater, 1 piece micro-lights are really hard to come by, but they give me much better casting, and greater handling, especially for big fish (Stripers, Sturgeon, etc) when they run under the boat (which they almost always do). But then I guess their are not too many guys out there fishing for Stripers and Sturgeon with a pan fish rod ;-)  LOL

Peace,

Fish

hey Tony   so do you like the fast action on the avid? i always use mono in the creeks and we r looking for the big gills and a few large mouths and small mouths,the fenwick hmg i had was a mod. action rod but i want a fast action because i will use a 4'lizard in the creeks and i think the fast action will be better because i use them texas rig and just to get that extra hook set means alot sometimes.. guys i really wanted to get sr720 but the action is stopping me!!

Mark:

Yeah, I get along great with the fast action Avid. I am strictly a Bluegill fisherman, although I did accidently land a 10.5 lb. channel cat with the rod about a month ago. No problem getting hooked up with that fish, just took a little longer to get it in!

I've got more money in the rod than I do the reel, I paired it up with a Pfleuger President micro, and they work together real well.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
14 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
17 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"An Instrumental Guitar recording of mine to commemorate. …"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Trout Season opens April 6th in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for stocking."
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
"My favorites through the Years: Manns Jelly Worm, Manns Auger tail, Charlie Brewers 4" on a…"
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
Sunday
Sunday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

"Thank you, Jeffrey!"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service