Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Where are you when it comes to fishing with Micro Tungsten jigs and micro plastics?... is it a fad?

Great article on ice panfishing in Jan-Feb 2015 issue of In-Fisherman

Don’t forget alot of these ice fishing tips are some-what applicable in the open water vertical jigging!

Views: 1748

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just mentioned in another thread that I will be deep jigging for crappie and white perch this weekend and don't expect other panfish, but maybe I should try some of these tiny jigs also. I will have to look around at BPS tonight. Heading over there as I was given some gift cards...

I thought about drop shot but my concern was that one of the primary reasons for going so small was the slow fall. 

in my experience a higher percentage of strikes occur as the bait is moved up and away from the fish.

I will give it a shot (pun intended) this weekend. Where I will be and with the forecast, it is likely the overabundant white perch will make me feel like a genius no matter what I do. They have gotten so overpopulated that the regs changed last year and you are even allowed to net them.

pun accepted ... lol

last year i saw a vid on WFN of these guys vertically jigging little silver spoons with nightcrawler bits ... snapping them offf the bottom and catching scads of the white perch.... i have never caught or seen one. and of course it was a warm weather pattern.

The WP blitz here in the late summer and early fall. It is pretty cool to have the water boiling all around you and catch a fish on nearly every cast, even if they are mostly small. But they compete with the young crappie and bass for food and are multiplying way too fast. They are a good fish down toward the coast. We should have left well enough alone...

hey Andy--  bet if you asked some of these guys  they would be glad to donate you a few to try out!!

Might get to that. I found some tiny stuff but not a lot of variety. I found some "trout magnet" soft plastics in the very tiny size. I got one little package of white. I got a couple of 10 packs of 1/64 marabou jigs, one pack in white and one in chartreuse. So this weekend I plan to fish a UL with 4# with the light stuff and a light rod with Nanofil jigging a blade. Right now the forecast is sunny and 60 with slightly falling pressure and little wind. Even if it is dead calm I will likely need some shot to get the light stuff down 25'.

Nice to see the trend going small . This does work for open water

Thanks Joe... I did well fishing small all year

Micro huh? Where have I heard this before....lol

Guys looking for small stuff...I find I have better luck ordering micro jigs online. Not too many brick and mortar shops stock much when you get below 1/64 oz, unless you're in the ice belt. And, small means just that...a 1/64 oz jig is huge in comparison. Once again, this is where that expensive tungsten really shines. You can stay small, and still have the weight you need to get down to the fish. And yes, I fish ice jigs year-round also.

One of my favs...    http://www.yourbobbersdown.com/

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz

"Beauties Troy!"
Sunday
Troy Dorman posted a photo
Sunday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

2lbs and 1lb10oz shellcracker

"Great cracker daily double! Congrats Troy….."
Sunday
dick tabbert commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Saturday
Troy Dorman posted a photo
Friday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"This year my old Rattle Traps have been catching again in the 3",1/2 oz, and 3,5",3/4oz…"
Friday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"The Rattle Traps over the windy flats have called Fish up and done well. 2 mid sized and two…"
Thursday
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far.  "
Thursday
Thursday
Thursday
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far. "
Thursday
John Sheehan posted photos
Thursday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Tracy."
Thursday
tracy willis commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Apr 17
tracy willis commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"toad!!"
Apr 17
dick tabbert posted a photo

Big rubber soider

Prototype of a big rubber spider 3x3" with a #4 2xl hook.
Apr 17
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

Vince with two nice ones

"Thanks, Jeff! Yes, he's soon to be 16!"
Apr 16
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"Ah! That's the Mustache!"
Apr 16
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"This is the one I caught the perch on. Mushtache Minnow."
Apr 16
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"John, it's a mess but as soon as the mustache minnow gets wet it takes on the looks of a…"
Apr 16

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service