Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I finally got out and it turned out to be a great day for me. My target was Bluegills but it didn't work out as intended. I started out with Canadian Crawlers and ended up going to my old stand by which is a 1/16 oz jig. I found the color didn't seem to matter much but my main go to color today was a red and white jig head with a red twister with a white tail. Caught numerous fish but will list only the fish I kept. 23 Black Crappies, 3 Perch, 4 seeds and 4 Gills. Water temp was 64 degrees and fished jigs at a very very slow retrieve with my new Pflueger Arbor (Reel runs smooth as silk) with Sufix 6lb test line. Want to thank my sister and law who made today possible for me, THANKS PAM

Views: 1785

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

AWESOME DICK, The FISH GODS were GOOD to you !!!!!!!!!!!! Looking forward to a lot of pics from yall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John I know they make different lines don't know exactly what but my decision was made because I jig fish and no mater what I do I always come back to the jig which is my total relaxation way to fish and to really be great at it you really have to put your total thought into it while your fishing it. Although I catch fish using this method I know I can get better. Most people don't realize how many time they get bit in the coarse of a day it might be just a little quick tap or that ever so little line movement we blame on the wind. I also picked up some Power Pro braid in the moss green and then Spider wire. The only one I have tried out so far is the Suffix and I am impressed although I really think I'll have a hard time totally eliminating the my Fluorocarbons. Took me a long time to try something else I'm a little hard headed and set in my ways but there alway making things better but  like I said it has all the attributes of the fluorocarbon without the memory. 

Went out this evening like I do every night at 7PM. I have a Cedar Tree about 30 feet tall casting a shadow into the pond about 30 foot long an 4 feet wide. Didn't see any fish up by the feeder yet that goes off at 7:05PM but I looked out in the cedar shadow on the water and there was at least 30 to 40 fish hiding in the shadow. I know fish like the shadows but that goes to show exactly how much. A little info I thought I might share.

Good observation Dick......

Great visual record Dick. Keep that kind of info coming. Shades are great for fish to hide from aerial predators as well as the predators lurk underneath. Try to observe if there are more under cedar tree vs other type of sunken/partial sunken/shading structures. This will yield massive data on what area the fish prefer more.

Nice run, Dick! Glad you got some....

GGGGGGGGGGGGLAD YOU FINALLY GOT OUT DICK and looks like some prime time eating there!!

Was nice I'm like an addict and that was my fix but I want it more and more. Thanks for the words I thank everyone and I no I'll at least get out in June we rented a cottage in Michigan for a week.

HEY DICK, right about now I'd settle for 8" Crappies!!!!!!!! glad you got out and keep at it buddy and start showing some pics of your next fishing venture!!!!

It's alway a venture and pure pleasure for me when I get out and I will truly have pictures and share them when I do.

Great looking fish Dick! That 14 " crappie earns a master angler award here in michigan. 

Don't want any awards all I want is to fish. I've got plenty big crappies most I turn back I'll keep 1 or 2 meals a year I just need to feed the need. Sorry I'll bet you can't tell I love to fish. Thanks for the info Ken and GOOD FISHIN..

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
17 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
20 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"An Instrumental Guitar recording of mine to commemorate. …"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Trout Season opens April 6th in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for stocking."
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
"My favorites through the Years: Manns Jelly Worm, Manns Auger tail, Charlie Brewers 4" on a…"
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
Sunday
Sunday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

"Thank you, Jeffrey!"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service