Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

List your top (5) factors that you feel contributes most to your own personal success with B’Gill fishing or panfishing in general.

My list

1. Sonar! Made number one… you can’t catch the fish if they are not there!! Change your fishing life and success and invest in a decent sonar.
  2. Graphite rods… sensitivity, sensitivity and sensitivity
  3. Braid… Graphite and braid what a combination!
  4. GULP ALIVE! Waxies… game changer when it comes to bait. Especially in pink. I believe it is a great tipping for Bill Modicas spoon technique.
  5. Drop shotting… my number one method of obtaining decent Gillage.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have always felt that being invited to fish with someone... showing you their techniques , tactics and spots was the greatest honor in fishing. everyone can learn from anyone in this sport!. this discussion in simple form is just that... we are learning bits and pieces of your knowledge foundation that took you time and effort on a BOW to develop... this is awesome! TY for taking the time to share!

Views: 930

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Since I target small fish and I'm limited to the shore line, my list is limited to items that allow me to move around the  BOW quickly and quietly. This forces me to read a BOW i.e. weedlines, drop offs and shade areas. In a way, more like  hunting than fishing. 

* Small Plastic Baits (ice fishing micro plastics)

* Small Hooks ( size 18 - 32)

* 2# test ( mono )

* Japanese Telescopic Pole  ( 6 feet / 180 CM )

* Line Markers -  ( more sensitive than a float)

This technique has allowed me to catch bluegill in the 1.5 to 8 inch range. 

* Japanese Telescopic Pole  ( 6 feet / 180 CM )

Still looks like a blast to me Joe... i need to try this before the summer season ends!

LOFR"s List

1.Porcupine Quill..... never found anything that was a more sensitive Strike indicator

2. Fly rod ................because it fun fighting the big ones on a long pole

3. Crickets .............. The favorite bait of bluegill everywhere

4. Graphite Rod ....... Because you can feel every twitch the fish makes

5 A good flat bottom boat ... because it will get you to where the fish are

These are the factors that have lead to my success over the years.    LOFR

3. Crickets .............. The favorite bait of bluegill everywhere

LOFR ... i always heard crickets were the ultimate bait... (very expensive around here)... at some time im going to have to break down and give them a try

1.Porcupine Quill..... never found anything that was a more sensitive Strike indicator

i have two that Carl has sent me and i love using them!

1. Timing....... as they say is everything. Learning to use the moon phases to time peak spawning times in my area.
  2. Versatility....... learning new tactics such as drop shotting and fly fishing and new to me lures like spinners and spoons.
  3. Priorities....... fishing is one, yard work is not. The grass will be there when you get back from fishing.
  4. Partners....... my Wife is my main fishing partner now and that makes trips easier.
  5. Patience........ sticking to what I know will work. 

Timing....... as they say is everything. Learning to use the moon phases to time peak spawning times in my area.

Gotta love the Lunar pull on fishing... i did just that this year timed (3) spawns crappie beginning of may, bluegill/crappie beginning of junes full moon and beginning of July Bluegill spawn. awesome tactic

Priorities....... fishing is one, yard work is not. The grass will be there when you get back from fishing.

im glad my wife loves her lawn tractor!

1) Managing my own water. Hands down the winner.

2) Having access to unpressured fish, either public or private. Fish unconditioned to angling pressure will be much easier to catch in greater numbers.

3) Learning your water, public or private. Not all waters will contain big bluegills. Learning which ones do will cut down on less productive trips.

4) Having time to actually go fishing.

5) Remain mobile when BG fishing. If it's unhandy to move, you won't move.....and active fish could be just around the corner.

1) Managing my own water. Hands down the winner.

that is awesome and a jealous item on your list... have always wanted to do that! it is one big aquarium right?!

i have always felt that being invited to fish with someone... showing you their techniques , tactics and spots was the greatest honor in fishing. everyone can learn from anyone in this sport!. this discussion in simple form is just that... we are learning bits and pieces of your knowledge foundation that took you time and effort on a BOW to develop... this is awesome! TY for taking the time to share!

Slip Sinker , down here in the south crickets are $3.50 / 100 , just go ahead and plan to come south  next year and let met take you on a trip that we will use 200 crickets a day , and yes we will eat them ! And maybe I can throw in some smallmouth and trout in our Southern waters . LOFR

thanks for the invite LOFR!...

my spine limits my traveling... so thats why i stick to very close to home fishing locations

next year and let met take you on a trip that we will use 200 crickets a day , and yes we will eat them !

are you sue you want to do this!

Yes , with an electric knife  I can fillet all those fish in about two hours , have to have some way to fill up the freezer, so on those cold winter days I can go ice fishing in the freezer, we dont get on the ice in the winter down south,and the winter fish frys of bluegill fillets get out blood pumping  waiting on Spring.  LOFR

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
3 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
3 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
3 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
3 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
3 hours ago
3 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
22 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service