Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Everybody has a fav. way to cook there bluegill. Lets see whats your fav. I need some new recipets. We as sportsmen and womenfolk also love any other kinds of game animals in the skillet so if you got a recip. please rply and let us know. Ive got a mess of squirrles in the icebox outside now and I need a lil help. Theres dove rabbit and coon soon to be in there to so dont be skeered.

Views: 1007

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My favorite is to take real butter and let it brown in a cast iron skillet.

Then I mix in anchovy paste and fire the heat up really high for about one minutes while mixing the butter and anchovy paste, until it turns just black. This black mixture is then spread evenly across the skillet.

Now I turn the heat back to medium.

Then I take the bluegill filet that's been mostly dried, and drop it straight on.

I watch it very, very carefully, and when it's cooked half way through I flip it over and turn the heat back up to highest setting.

This sears the outer skin, and I flip it over one more time and leave it for about thirty more seconds.

This leaves both sides blackened, and I still have the full flavor of the bluegill.

The cast iron heats very evenly, so I can do a bunch of filets at one time. The whole process only takes me a few minutes.

MMMmmmmmmmmmm!
Bruce i took some fillets last night and put them in a dish and let them soak in some lemon juice covered them with paprika, tonys, garlic salt, pepper, orgeno, and habreno pepper tabasco, and onion powder. Melted 4 wappin table spoons of butter in a fryin pan...... cooked a lb. of sausage and throwed it in a pot with 2 cans of campbels veggie soup. Then I put the fish in the skillet that the sausage came out of with all the juice and left over grease and butter cooked them till they were done and added them to the soup mix. ( of course the fillets were cut down to really really small nugget size.) Let it simmer for about 45 min on low and stir occas. You talk about fine!!!!!! WOOOOOHOOOO. I did learn that it needed an extra can of corn in it after the fact but hey....First time recp. always leave room for improve.
Being the recipient of two heart attacks and 4 heart operations....I try to keep things healthy.

In a large teflon pan I lightly brown 1 large clove of minced garlic in 2 tbs of olive oil and turn heat off.......evenly distribute garlic bits on cooking area....lightly sprinkle pan with lemon pepper and add Gill fillets.....sprinkle again with lemon pepper and cook on medium high heat till garlic browns, flip and cook for a half a minute and serve.
what kinda heat we talkin bout here Mr. Musky
Thanks Bill ! Sounds good. Showed to primary cook in hose, wife Lisa. She wrote it down and tapd to frig.. Gonna try soon. steve b
Breaded with cornmeal & flour, mixed 4:1 with a little salt. Then deepfried in peanut oil at 350 degrees.
I like plain cornmeal, with garlic in the hot oil (either peanut or plain vegetable - either will do for me, although veg is a little better, I think). Just make sure you do your french fries before you brown the garlic.
I dip the bluegills fillets in a beaten egg, then dredge in a mixture of 1 cup flour/1.5 tablespoons Lowery's seasoning salt. Drop into 350 degree vegetable oil, and they are ready to eat within 5 minutes!
Here's one for ya... Take a bunch of bluegill fillets and soak em for bout 10-15 minutes in water with a good splash or two of lemon juice and a tablespoon or two of liquid crab boil. Season em up good, cornmeal em and throw em in the oil. I like em cooked up nice and crispy...
if yer hungry enough carp tastes pretty goo....naw i usually deepfryum in some kinda fish batter dipem in eggs n milk then the batter, deep fry n eat
Ima try this with venison this weekend. Man Its ounds good!
Hey, those kabobs sound delicious... I never thought of using venison, I'll have to give that a try. I usually use steak with mine, accompanied by yellow squash, zuccini, red and yellow bell pepper (that's so pretty), onion, and pineapple. Season em up and then brush on a little olive oil before grilling over mesquite. YUMMYLICIOUS!!!

Wonder if I could roll up a big ole bream fillet and stick him on a skewer? Mabe not, but Jeremy's recipie for bream and alfredo makes a fine appetizer while the grilling's going on...

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
2 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
2 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
2 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
2 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
2 hours ago
2 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
21 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service