Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

A collection of ideas comments etc concerning all electrical rigging from lights to transducer mounting for kayaks... theres alot of good ideas out there published and unpublished floating around... lets pool them together here.

Views: 498

Replies to This Discussion

....a great idea mounting a transduce using a magnet mount

... Great idea for a battery box for sonar lights etc

source for the utility box

http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/action-products-sport-utility-dry-b...

i'm really impressed with this application... but the box is a little big for the Ascend D10T... might be just right for the Nucanoe.

Great idea, Ken!

thanks David .... seeing i was in that arena right now working on the kayak... i thought i could get a head start and help my fellow kayakers along and maybe get some help along the way also.

thru the hull mounting technique... im exploring all options here.

Shoot-through-hull is the only way to go with a plastic yak.

PS "through hull" means exactly that - the installation is made through the hull... as in cutting holes....
People with boating backgrounds cringe when they hear this term misused.

So far David I am leaning that way…and heres why…. One of the main reasons I fish out of the kayak is vertical jigging… optimally vertically jigging is at its finest hour ice fishing… it is close and controlled… the next technique up in open water is vertical jigging with a kayak anchored with a anchor trolley or a controlled drift with a windsock. My anchor trolley is on the right side where I like it… so you are fishing from the right side with short rods. Mounting the transducer on the right side now come into interference with the trolley. So shooting thru the hull is probably going to be my best option and is so far... the temp is really no big deal.. i have a little digital meat thermometer i have with me all the time.. However ive been considering recently the upgrade to a Nucanoe so that factors in. like you said give up the transducer or offer the whole sonar unit in the resale…. Sheeesh im going to have to put this on a spreadsheet. lol

Well, inside hull mounting, when done right, suffers virtually NO LOSS in depth or accuracy.
When I was looking to install the one you sent me, that's what I learned. In practice, I found this to be true.
Piercing the hull to expose the face of the transducer itself to the water isn't needed.
I would mount as near to the centerline as possible, too. I put the thing right under my seat. It is protected there and right on the centerline.

i heard like you say there should be no loss as long as there is no air bubbles between the transducer and hull material. i know you had good luck with your install. looking at my deck there is a nice flat spot where i would be able to cut a hatch to get at the interior access... after that it would be an easy install. 

yeah i would never cut into the hull

the other option is mounting it off the transom but my presentation would be out of the cone angle for a short depth

I find it odd that there is no hatch already.
But you can purchase watertight deck hatches that will fit anywhere you want to install them.

there is one hatch and it has a dry bag under the lid...

installing a hatch sounds like no problem if i go thru the hull install.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
15 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
18 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"An Instrumental Guitar recording of mine to commemorate. …"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Trout Season opens April 6th in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for stocking."
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
"My favorites through the Years: Manns Jelly Worm, Manns Auger tail, Charlie Brewers 4" on a…"
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
Sunday
Sunday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

"Thank you, Jeffrey!"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service