Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I have tried some but never seem to do well at all. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks Gill Getters

CHarlie

Views: 3752

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

They're easily spooked this time of year. Keep your offerings slow, light and stealthy. Try shallow on the N side of your pond where they'll be trying to soak up some sun. You can also go out a little deeper off this area to check for fish that are thinking about moving up.

On bigger waters, look for the warmer N banks in the back of creek arms. As it's still technically winter, winter patterns may still exist. "Ice fish" the open water where you left them before ice out as a starting point. Your search area should be between here and the bedding areas.

Jim thanks for the reply. Is later in the day the best due to sun heating things up? What presentation is your "go to"?

Hey Charlie,

Afternoons have been best for me. My go to bait is whatever I have left from ice season---usually bee moth, spikes or mousies on a size 10 or 12 short shank hook under a mini shy bite. Near bottom is a good starting point, but don't overlook the top 3 feet of the water column. I have been using Thill floats for many years. For shallow applications I like stealth, mini stealth, shy bite and mini shy bite. I go to the bodied waggler for wind, waves and deep. A quill is also good. Any of these floats properly weighted do well. Haven't had a chance to check on this "revolution". Don't know if it is real or just a sales campaign. I suppose that just about anything can be improved.

Water temperature makes the fish move very slowly. Your enemy is the Spring wind on the surface of the water. This time of year, your bite indicator is too big. I have personally set up almost every bobber off the shelf - this is your problem. Fish don't open their gills up like they do in the summer- food is small and slow so it is very easy for them to breath it in without effort.  You won't get the summer take until their ice-cold bodies heat up.

Fishing straight line doesn't present the bait still enough or off the bottom where the fish are feeding.

Help is on the way though - there is some ice-out (and all year tackle that will help you in your mission).

I am stoked for ice-out! When is going to arrive this year.
A little ice-out humor - kind of like when are the crappies spawning this year??

Thanks for the reply Johnny. So if no float is available what's your secret if I may ask? What about flyfishing? probably need to make extra long cast?

Is live bait better than artifial at ice out?

We're loosing our ice here in Michigan but no open water just yet. Been river fishing mostly for walleye lately but season closes the 15th. I'll then focus on panfish.

You want to fish between Noon - 4 as mornings can be very very slow until the water warms up. There are no floats available which are sensitive enough - but there soon will be. 

I have traveled and was taught by Mick Thill who has retired from the US float market. I hope to have something at your local tackle store quite soon. If you refer to the Revolution post - you can participate in a learning activity. What types of floats do you use? Keeping the bait still suspended just 1.5" off the bottom usually is the ticket as fish will hover just above the warmth of the darker bottoms - heated by the low Spring sun.

If you are both able to present the bait perfectly in front of them and keep it completely still - you will have success. Also think tiny!!! 1 spike. Size 16 hook.

why is being still so important? If you were icefishing you'd be jigging wouldn't you?

Jigging is an attractant to draw them to your hole.

When they are on the tough bite on the ice- even the wind over the hole or the twisting ice jig can mess up presentation.

Bluegills observe and sight feed. They inspect their food and then strike. Give them cause for pause and the feeding trigger never is flipped.

Wind in the Spring is your enemy to seeing a proper take. I am REALLY excited to hit the open water this Spring and I want to catch the most fish ever this season... we'll see if I get the opportunities. Would you be interested in the Revolution - it's in the Discussions.. I need some people fishing some standard setups to log their successes (as well as slow times this Spring).

How do I know - I fish a lot of Spring competitions and my teacher is one of the best anglers on the planet - I have never defeated him when he fished the spots near me in a competition. The Spring cold-water bite is the toughest on all anglers.

Johnny

Sure I'd be happy to take part in the "Revolution" , what do I have to do?
did great two days ago from 1-4 pm at the NW corner of a small New Jersey lake where a pipe inlet comes into the lake. The Perch ,Gills and PSeeds (and one thick 10" White Perch)were very active and after getting them slip floating mealworms I started throwing small jigs with plastics and a small flutter spoon and they were still turned on . Forgot to check the temp overnight ,went back the next day and it was late in the day (just before 4pm.. of course we put the clocks ahead yesterday)It was as if a switch was turned off. No hits .Air temp felt much colder so I'm guessing the fish dropped back into deeper areas and were not feeling like the day before. Such is the inconsistency of ice out fishing I guess.Here today ,gone tomorrow. I have a spot however I am sure the fish will return to.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
13 minutes ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
14 minutes ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
36 minutes ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
37 minutes ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
37 minutes ago
38 minutes ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
19 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
22 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service