Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Hypothetical...your first day on a lake you never fished before

I remember it like yesterday. It was THE DAY I GOT MY BUTT KICKED. I was 18 years old and had a brand spanking new Daiwa Procaster. My cousins husband was supposedly a tournament fisherman. We went to Little Black Creek Water Park in Lumberton area in Mississppi. First time I ever been there.

Mike knew I was supposed to be a bass fisherman too with a leaning a little more toward brim and sacalait. I enjoyed the latter more than bass fishing and still do.

To be honest...I had NO IDEA what to do on the first day. I didn't want him to know that I was clueless so I didn't put a lure on my pole. I was going to wait and see what he had rigged up.

We met at boat launch and he had 4 poles..on with a worm, a deep diver, a lrge spinnerbait,, and a spoon. We headed out to the midle of the lake, and right there, I knew I was gonna get a spanking. See.....I am swamp and bayou fisherman. I didn't hve a diving lure that went more than 2 feet down.

I ended up with a black worm. Mike cast first and in ten minutes hooked 2 bass that were 3 and 4 lbs each. I became impatient and I didn't have a deep diver lik he did. He then switched to a spinner bait that he fished slowly..and caught a white crappie 9 he said you know what that is? I said its a sacalait. He said what??? What did you say? )

Anyway I caught NOTHING. Zilch. After we got back. We went to the place my dad had reted..a small spot for the RV, and I fished the sides and caught brim and some bass.

So here Is the question...

Your first day on a lake u never been to. What do you do? Where do you go? Believe me, I tried to tell him to stay in shallows but he refused. I guess we all do what we know best...and I am a shallow water fsherman.

Was wondering what y'all would do in such a case? I was quite humbled that day.

Views: 388

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I too look for drop offs with a weighted line...where I fish at..I don't catch deep water fish. I don't understand why but I think this is the reason I am a shalllow water fisherman.

That trip I spoke about in the first post reall made me see how much I had become acclimated to fishing in south louisiana.
Plum it up to pick your spot. When you plum your depth in front of you- we all fish from shore, right? - you will learn the contour- all lakes have a contour- find the breaks and know the bottom in front of you in your mind.
If you have no idea what I am talking about- this is the year you can learn. Jump in the Catch group I will open a new topic and open your fishing world.
I love new lakes!!!!

RSS

Latest Activity

tracy willis commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"thats a tropy sized pick.  congrats."
41 minutes ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
yesterday
yesterday
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
Wednesday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
Tuesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
Tuesday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service