Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Hi my name is Ray and I am new to this forum. I am interested in making my own marabou jigs and

I would like to know what is the best way to learn how to tie them. I never used them for bluegill but

I have used them for Rainbow trout and I think it would be fun to make my own.

Views: 3722

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes, he is and so are a bunch of there guys on this site.

Dick; Figured I needed to start somewhere-then if it works for me then I can upgrade to better quality equipment, which is what I usually do in whatever new venture I partake in.

Hi Kelly.  If you're looking for marabou, the bulk stuff at Micheal's, Hobby Lobby, etc., is a good price.  Be sure to check if the dye is water-fast; sometimes the color bleeds.

I'll use the cheap bulk stuff if I'm clipping some barbules off the feather's shaft and tying them in.  But, if I'm using the entire feather, I use the premium fly-tying grade marabou, as the shaft is thin and easier to work with.

Some of the other tyers have mentioned different materials.  I'll use chennile, but I also use rope-dubbed marabou, peacock herl, etc.  If I can find the colors of embroidery yarn (YES!  That stuff), I'll use that.  Also, if you have any D-rib, V-rib, Stretch cord for beads, etc, try that for a nice segmented body

Tying a regular old marabou jig(s) is probably one of the simplest things to tie, after you get your materials needed for tying, including your tools and of course jig heads, thread and marabou, you just lay down a small base of thread right behind the head, take a feather and single out which part you want on your jig, hold it over the hook and tie it down. Viola, easy as that. It can get crazy but it can also be super simple.

As far as cement goes… "borrow" a bottle of your wife's clear fingernail polish. The 99 cent kind at the drug store works fine.  Visit your local fly shop.  Not only will they have all kinds of feathers and flashy tensile, and colored threads to choose from….   they want you to buy lots of stuff so it's important to them to get you started tying your own jigs and flys… read FREE fly tying lessons.  They can also order lots of hook and jig sizes not normally found in the local Wally World.  There is nothing more rewarding than to catch on a fly you tied yourself.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
18 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
18 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
19 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
19 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
19 hours ago
19 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
Tuesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
Tuesday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service