Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Just joined tonight.  I'm a life-long bass fisherman who always held a soft spot for bluegills, actually any sunfish.  When I first went fishin' back in 1967, the guy that took me, sorta' indoctrinated into me that sunfish weren't worth fishin' for.  But I always liked them anyway.  I'll soon be 52 and now I am an opportunistic fisherman.  There is a small (maybe 3 acre), pond at the complex I live at.  Full of 'gills, seeds, and fliers.  love fishin' foe 'em on ultra-light spinning tackle. 

Views: 372

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LYNDON,

I can not agree more! In my state the bass have seen every lure in every color combination 100 times over. I have been ultra light spin fishing for nearly my entire life. I average over 160 days on the water a year not counting ice fishing. I maintan a 50 fish per session average. All on lures. I have many 100 fish days on bluegills and Yellow Perch and many many awesome sessions on crappie.  Enjoy the UL my friend it is a great way to fish.

Brian

You know Brian, the first fish I caught way back in 1967 was a yellow perch!  I remember looking at the lemon, green, and fringes of orange, and thinking it looked like swimmin' candy!  You maintain a great fish per outing ratio.  If I may, what lures do you use?  Do you fly fish?  Sixteen months ago, I moved from MA to SC.  A big reason was that I could fish all year 'round.  I like to fish red wigglers for 'gills.  But I'm open to fly roddin', UL lures, crickets, meal worms, etc. 

Lyndon,

I basically fish soft plastic lures on ultra light tackle 90% of the time. I like 1.5" to 2" plastic tails. I love Berkley power Grubs, Charlie Brewer Slider grubs, Kalin's grubs , etc. I rig them on either 1/16oz or 1/8oz jigheads. I also use small minnow baits and crankbaits at times. The Gary Yamamoto 2" senko wacky rigged on a size 4 finesse widegap hook works great too. I cast to docks and points. Outside and inside edges of weedlines, riprap areas, mud to hard bottom transition area's.....Feel free to message me if you need more details.

Brian

Welcome Lyndon to the website.. hear at the Rock you will have a world of knowledge and friends to help with any problem and always someone to show off your catch to,...
Thanks for the welcome Vic!
Welcome to BBG.com Lyndon.  No pun intended, but you've just hooked up with some of the finest people I've met.  There's a lot of sunfish savvy out there and some great tips on new areas to fish.  I too, would rather chase gills and crappie any day, (I will take a bass on rare occassions).  Ultralite is the way to go.  Again, welcome and let us know more about you like where are you from? how many days you get out? etc.  Nick Holt
thanks for the welcome Nick.  I live in Charlesto, SC.  The townhouse apartment has a small (about 3 acres) pond that I fish anytime it's not to windy or raining.  One of the reasons we moved to SC was to fish 24/7/365.
I fish with live bait sometimes with small spoons.around i live the fish love nightcrawlers

Look at it this way Lyndon - bass are sunfish, in that they are in the same family of fishes.

Many of the same baits, lures and techniques work on both, in the same ways. The real major difference being just the scale of things.

Welcome!

RSS

Latest Activity

dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Goldfish jigs.

"Thanks John."
8 hours ago
Thumbnail

Goldfish jigs.

"I hope they work. I do have a couple of other colors which I'll post later. Thanks Jeffrey."
8 hours ago
8 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

The Importance of Steady Water Levels During the Spawn….3/18/2024

This caught my eye at lunch this morning, one of my local rivers has remained at a steady level for…
8 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Goldfish jigs.

"Very creative mind coupled with excellent craftsmanship…..these are fish catchers Dick!"
11 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Goldfish jigs.

"Excellent work, Dick!"
13 hours ago
dick tabbert posted a photo

Goldfish jigs.

My new tie. Made out of a 1/16oz jig with a #4 hook.
16 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
Thumbnail

Joe Got a Birthday Present at 8:55……3/17/2024

"Major League Fishing Bass Pro Tour has a tournament on the Albemarle the first week of June…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

"These are Joe’s two biggest largemouth bass and I was the only person there for…"
yesterday
yesterday
Thumbnail

Son-In-Law's Personal Best Largemouth......6.5 Pounds.......5/12/2020

"This was Joe’s previous personal best largemouth…..although it may appear larger it…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

"Very shallow John….right where we were catching good crappie numbers…this is only…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

"He was tickled…..he caught her at 9:00 this morning on an undercut…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Kept a Dozen Fryers…..3/17/2024

"Thanks Slip….this is perfect….mostly smaller males to scale and filet…..I can…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Joe’s First Bite This Morning……3/17/2024

"Thanks Slip…..this brackish water has such a great food supply so all of these fish are very…"
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's status
"Thanks Slip…….it was one of those spring trips you hope for……this was…"
yesterday
Slip Sinker commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's status
"sounds like a great birthday!"
yesterday
Slip Sinker commented on Jeffrey D. Abney's photo
yesterday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service