Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I had the pleasure of reading an article about a technique used to collect worms.
This technique I read about is called "grunting for worms".
The way it works is you drive a wooden stake into the ground and take a piece of iron, like an iron rod and rapidly rub it against the wooden stake. This produces a sound similar to that of a mole grunting,as it hunts for worms and the worms wriggles to the surface, trying to get away.
For those of you that like to use worms to fish, I think this article is worth reading. Just go to Google.com and type in "grunting for worms". I found it to be very interesting.
have a great summer

Views: 193

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Clifton I also use a grunting method that is garunteed! I go to the bait shop and ask for two dozens red worms and when they give me the tab I grunt at the price as I hand over the money....lol

I think I might give your idea some research.

Joeb
Hey Joeb,
I like your sence of humor, I bet you're just as much fun out on the lake too,because laughter is good for the soul. Stay safe Joeb.
Have only vaguely heard of this, neat idea ! Yrs ago, late 60's, our neibhor let us borrow an eletric version that you stick in the ground, plug in, and within 5 minutes, night crawlers come up outta the ground. Have never seen a commercial version for sale. Hmmnnn.... steve b
I know it works.I just stick my pitchfork at an angle and then keep tapping on it for a few minutes.They start coming up immediately but you have to look all over at the same time and the're hard to see in the grass.After a few minutes you have to move the location of the pitchfork,but it does work.Easier at the bait shop though.
Ah, what kind of soil would worms live in? Under trees, in sandy soil, moist?
I saw this done in my back yard when I was a kid. Lived next door to a preacher and he and his fishing buddy were going fishing and needed bait. They were doing it right in the middle of our softball field, (back yard). They chose that spot because there were hundreds of little piles of worm casings mounded up all over like little ant hills. I of course had to go see and help pick up the worms. They took me and my little brother fishing with them as a reward. I caught what they called a "black fish". It had teeth! Soon after my 7 year old brother slipped off a log and went completely underwater, bounced off the bottom and landed feet first back on the log. He wasn't even wet. He wasn't down there long enough. I swear that's the way I remember it. He was afraid one of those "black fish" was going to get him.

Carryville, Fl has an annual, worlds original and largest, worm fiddlin' festival. I wonder if little brother would like to go to the next one!

Sharon, worms don't live in "soil", the live in "dirt". They vacation in soil. I once read that if you weighed every species on earth, whales, people, chickens, whatever, that earthworms would weigh the most. I guess they live in all kinds of dirt.
Hello everyone, I am sorry to say that I have not been able to contribute any interesting posts this year. I have been recouperating from heart surgery.
However I am glad to know that my post on "grunting for worms" received this amount of attention. I hope that as fall and winter approches, everyone will continue to stay safe and have fun

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
5 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
5 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
6 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
6 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
6 hours ago
6 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service