Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Thinking about getting another fly rod, Like a 2wt 3wt or a 4wt around 6ft to 7ft long only for Gill's. But how far can I cast with such a small weight class? and also what size flies are suitable to cast?

Views: 2026

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I regularly cast hook size 6 poppers and streamers out to 40ft with a TFO BVK 8 1/2 4wt using a good weight forward line and tapered leader. Most 4wts will comfortably cast poppers/streamers and flys up to size 8 with no problem.

Why are you looking at shorter rods?

I dont own a 2 or 3wt rod but I've been very tempted ;)

Hey Lee, Well the area's I fly fish in is all in tight cover (Usually) and I roll cast alot. My 7'9'' 5wt can handle it all but sometimes the length is just too much. 

I have 6' 2 wt. this is a blast to fish !!!!!! 40' with small bead chain eyes!!!!! With those tiny flies you fish it would be great!!!!! I fish only with my 2 and 3 wts, anything bigger feels like I am Casting a TREE!!!!!! :-)  TFO has the 6' 2wt!!!!!!

Yea I was leaning toward the tfo signature series and it's cheap also Greg

HEY ANGELO,

DON'T LET ANYONE FOOL YA! I have many 7' 5 weights here and they will lay out line with the best of em, at least 35-40 feet no problem. HOWEVER: that is with freshly cleaned line, weight forward floating fly line. and a leader of min.4 lb. test and most of the time 6 lb. test leader. You can do that length of cast with a couple false casts and not much wind.
  I'M VERRRRRRRRRRRRRY FUSSY ABOUT CLEAN LINE because it helps so much. I personally wouldn't mess with the 2-3 weights because of were I fish. To many weeds in the water .

HEY ANGELO,
  YOU MIGHT WANT TO LISTEN TO SOME OF THESE guys answering your questions like Greg Mc Williams  and some of the others. These guys actually use the 2-3's and have great success.  I don't think casting distance would be an issue with any one you buy . Jen regularly fly fishes and you might want here opinion too. I'm not much of a techno wizard but I've read the TFO'S are pretty decent rods, but haven't cast one myself.

I understand where you are coming from David. Clean line is a must and where I fish there's alot of cover where fish hide but it's usually visible above water. I enjoy fighting and feeling every head shake that the fish makes this is why I'am looking to down size to a 2wt or 3wt. I'am trying to get more information that such a light weight class, I heard from different people that the wind factor play's a VERY BIG PART in your casting. I love my 5wt and won't trade it for the world but I almost want to experience with different weight's and brands. I been hearing great view's about the TFO Signature Series, Thinking that will be my next fly rod just need to figure out what reel to match it with

Ok Angelo I see what your saying about the length. I fish sitting in a kayak most of the time in small lakes and rivers so the 8 1/2 foot works well and keeps my backcast up.

What your saying about feeling Everything the fish does is why I've stepped my bream rods down over the years from a 6 to a 5 and currently a 4wt. Nothing beats the feel of a good Bream on a light flyrod! My problem with going much lighter is that I catch alot of bass along with bream ( not complainin ) and those rascals can put a whoppin on ya!

There's some great advice here! especially about keeping your line Clean, makes a huge difference in casting along with a quality wf line and matching tapered leader.

I amit I,m biased towards the TFO line of rods. There just a great rod at a reasonable price and have a lifetime warranty to boot. I own several, a 4,6,8wt BVK a 7wt Signature and a 4wt Finese. They all have a different feel, the BVK's cast like rockets are quick and have alot of lifting strength but loose some feel for the fish. The Finese is a slower casting rod that flexes the entire length it's sweet casting and a Blast with a good sized fish but it dosent have alot of backbone. The Signature is pretty much in the middle, I'd like to try one in the lighter weights.

Try and cast as many rods as you can and pick a rod that feels good to you!

Thanks Lee, I'am also in that same area catching Bass along with Gill's actually some day's I will catch only Bass when targeting Gill it all depend's. I will have to order online so sadly I don't have the opportunity so try any of the rods out myself. My local fly shop is an 1hr away and it's the Orvis Company no luck with that.  I'am interest in the TFO series rod's and mainly the signature series.  And I just can't pass up the offer up on a $110 rod. Lee how would you rate the Signatures series? Like to have your opinion

The Signature Series are very nice casting rods if you decide on one get the Signature 2 same price with nicer guides and reel seat than the original Signature. I'm thinking I might order one also 3wt 7'6" for some of the lil rivers I fish that are loaded with Redbellies, can't beat that price!

I use a 4 wt fly rod, and usually trout flies work best. I like an Chartreuse popper, or anything with legs, If you get lucky, you might get a bass :D

My choice for over ten years has been a little fiberglass rod from Eagle Claw called the Feather Light.  It's a 6' 6" extremely fast action 6 weight "wimpy noodle" of a rod.  It's short enough for my favorite fishing hole with it's vegetation hanging over the water.  This is the short rod's advantage.  I'm able to cast fairly successfully through and around the vegetation.  My choice of line is Scientific Anglers' Mastery Series Stillwater 6 weight weight forward sinking line.  It's a clear fly line that is perfect for the clear waters and bright skies at my favorite fishing hole.  Along with the 4X Scientific Anglers Flourocarbon tapered leader (9') and the #12 flies (Bully's Bluegill Spider is my favorite), I fish invisibly.  I choose this hook size because it is too big for the little guys, but perfect for the big boys.  I feel my combo is perfect in the search for big bream because of the line weight.  I'm not too sure if I would want to go 2 weight when in the pursuit of the "pond monster".

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
18 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
21 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"An Instrumental Guitar recording of mine to commemorate. …"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Trout Season opens April 6th in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for stocking."
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
"My favorites through the Years: Manns Jelly Worm, Manns Auger tail, Charlie Brewers 4" on a…"
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
Sunday
Sunday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

"Thank you, Jeffrey!"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service