Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum so I figured I'd do an intro before I get into the main topic, feel free to skip this paragraph if you don't care :). I'm Sean and Sunfish are among my favorite thing to fish for because of how many species there are, I often target and catch Bluegills, Pumpkinseeds, Green Sunfish, Hybrid Sunfish and Warmouth and hopefully someday I'll get to take a trip somewhere to catch Redears and Coppernose. Aside from fishing I'm an avid SCUBA diver and love to watch fish underwater, especially sunfish since they're very intelligent and display interesting behavior towards divers (and aggressive behavior when I swim into a nesting zone in the Spring). I also have been keeping fish (mainly natives) for over 2 years and have 8 tanks set up (5.5-75 Gallons) and as far as sunfish I have a female green and am hoping to get other species soon. Now getting on to this thread.

Can anyone suggest some good flies (dry or wet) to use for Bluegills and P-Seeds for this time of the year? I'd like to get some sunfish on flies at my local lake before the water gets to cold for them. Unfortunately half of the sunfish at this lake are stunted from overcrowding and the Bluegills average 2-6" (biggest I've caught was 10"), Pumpkinseeds average 2-5" (largest was 8.5-9"), and Greens are 1.5-6" (biggest was 8"). The reason I'm listing size is because I've tried certain flies and they've hit them but couldn't fit them in their mouths so I can't use anything to big here. There is another local lake I have with a better, healthier, and larger gill population about 40 minutes from me though so feel free to suggest bigger flies for there since they average 8-12".

Thanks in advance!

Views: 362

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've got a good fix for overpopulated, stunted, sunnies.

Just drop a small Flathead Catfish in there, and give it a year......

Ok a lot if stuff to cover. I'm not sure what size tippet it is since it's been on for a while but fairly thin by the looks. I was using #12 bivisibles.

We're not near winter yet, been in the mid to high 70s all week strangely enough.

I've contemplated adding a flathead or two :). They're in the local creeks so adding one from the river wouldn't make it invasive.
Ok, now I'm worried: tippet, or leader?
Two different things you know?
Tippets that are "on for awhile..." Well, mine don't last long. I use tippet rings on the leader, making tippet replacement easy peasy. But the leader stays in place.
So with the cutting and changing of flies, tippets are short lived.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
17 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
17 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
17 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
17 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
17 hours ago
17 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
Tuesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
Tuesday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service