Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

ive always wanted to try my hand at using a fly rod during the fly hatch on KY lake and ive found a place the next county over that has TARP size brook trout, probably hatchery fish.  anyway, online guides seem to be all over the place as far as weight.  i thought id see what some of the experts on here would recommend.  keep in mind that i will probably get into it with an LMB or channel cat during the hatch.

thanks

Views: 569

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

TRACY;; NO DOUBT;; YOU WILL GET SEVERAL ANSWERS TO THIS QUESTION;;;  MY OWN RECOMENDATION WOULD BE;;;;  JUST GO TO WALL MART;; GET ONE OF THOSE FLY ROD KIT THINGS THEY HAVE !!  SINCE YOUR NO DOUBT-- BRAND NEW TO; FLY RODDING  ITS THE CHEAPEST WAY TO GO !!  (((  GO FOR A ;; 5 WT ROD;; TO A 3 WT IF POSSIBLE ))   HOWEVER;; NOTHING WRONG;; WITH A ;; 7 OR A 8 WT;; JUST MUCH MORE FUN;; WITH THE LIGHTER  RODS !  IF YOU CAN;;  GO TO THE -- RENDEVOUZ  ON THE 17TH; OF THIS MONTH!!  LORD OF THE FLY RODS;; MT MIKE;; KEITH RITTER CAN GIVE YO UMORE INFO;; ON RODS;; REELS;; LINE  CAN BE TONS OF HELP;; ESPECIALLY;; HELP IN CASTING !!  (( THERES AN AVAIABLE ROOM IN ONE CABIN;; CONTACT KEITH RITTER ON IT !

thanks for the reply Carl.  well, Camden walmart doesnt have much fishing stuff except for baits.  go figure being 8 miles from the lake.  i was thinking of this combo as it fits my budget, 5wt in 8 1/2 or 9ft with forward weighted line.

https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/tfo-signature-ii-series-rod-and-hob...

I've caught LMB and catfish on my 5wt. It would be a great place to start.  If it were me I would use 6lb. mono as a leader so you will break off before you lose your fly line. 

LOLOLOL;; KEITH;; BET YOU HAD FUN CATCHING THESE BUDDY !!  AINT NUTTING;; LIKE FLY RODDIN !!

TRACY;; GO WITH LEVEL LINE !!!!!!!!  NOT WT FORWARD !  8 FT 9 LENGTH ROD OR LONGER;;;;;   LEVEL LINE;; WILL STILL  SINK;; ONLY ; SLOWLY;; WHICH IS MUCH PREFERD;; WEIGHT FORWARD LINE;; CAST  BEAUTIFULLY;; BUT SINKS FAST;;;  LIKE A ROCK !!  AND REMEMBER;; ONCE YO UHAVE THE FLY LINE;; YO UHAVE TO ADD;; A TIPPET LINE TO THE FLY LINE !!    I JUST USE;; REGULAR MONO LINE FOR THAT;; (( MR. CRAPPIE IN 8 LB TEST ;; WORKS GREAT !  A;;;;; DOUBLE TAPERED FLY LINE  WORKS GREAT TO;; IN FACT;; ALL OF MY FLY REELS;; ARE FILLED WITH IT....  NOW WOULD BE A GREAT TIME TO CHECK OUT SOME VIDEOS;; ON FLY CASTING;;   ESPECIALLY ROLL CASTING;; MY MUCH PREFFERED WAY  OF CASTING !!

I use Weight forward floating line and as a beginner I found it easy to cast and see when you get a strike. Carl is right about about not spending a lot on your first set up. I have a few old flea market finds that I fish with that cost me very little. Look on my page I had a discussion  about beginning fly fishing and got a lot of good advice. 

TRACY;;    MY BAD !!  I SHOULD HAVE SAID;;;;  WT FORWARD IS FINE;; AS LONG AS ITS FLOATING LINE ALSO !   GO AHEAD;; GO TO WALLY WORLD;; GET WHAT YOU CAN FOR NOW;;;  BET WE CAN HELP GET YOU GET RIGGED UP FOR FLY FISHING !   IT OPENS UP;; A BRAND NEW WORLD ;; TO FISHING

I would try the new eagle claw feather weigh at less than 30 bucks.I believe Wal Mart has them online.They have a 5/6 weight.It is a nice slow flexing action that is much easier to learn to cast with than graphite.I would buy the cheapest decent reel from BPS as well as their store brand line.Since the rod is a 5/6 go with WFF 6 weight line.BPS will put the line and backing on the reel for you.Watch any casting video by Lefty Kreh.He  gets away from the 10 and 2 casting crap and one of the best fly caters ever .I have owned a few of those eagle claws and they are great casting rods and very hard to break unlike graphite.

I'm with Jim a good cheap combo would serve you well. If you can swing that TFO you go for it but you could get three rigs you could set up differently for different situations for that money. I've found some nice ones in pawn shops and thrift stores. Hulme's Sporting Goods in Paris might have fly equipment. Anderson Sporting Goods in Lexington, Tn does have some fly equipment. Academy Sports in Jackson has fly stuff.  

lol i thought i replied back but i guess i didnt hit the right button.

thanks for all of the input.  yep i usually go cheap, BUT this is an anniversary present from my wife and she says not to be anything cheap, lol.  so i guess i will comply with her demands because she can be a handfull.

so i was talking with a wildlife officer and he works part time at a fly shop in nashville and he said they have sold 250 of those Redington Path outfits and havent had any compalints.  he said in his opinion it was a little better than the TFO outfit for the same money with a moderate action and he assured me he doesnt work on commissions but just trying to help a beginner.  still going to bass pro and check out those eagle claw rods though.

TRACY;; IF YOUR PLANNING ON GOING TO BASS PRO; IN NASHVILLE;; LET ME KNOW WHEN !!   I;LL MEET YA THERE !!

Well if she insists then by all means get the good one. You can spend your money on a second outfit or maybe even a third. I May have a problem.  see pic.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
7 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
7 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
7 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
7 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
7 hours ago
7 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service