Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I moved the handle over on one of my spinning reels and went down to the pond to give it a try.

Some fish (besides the two pictured, another small bass) actually agreed to participate in the experiment. I can't do both hands right now; too much pain in right shoulder if I don't restrict range of motion. The cast that worked best for me  was a motion like I was throwing a Frisbee forehand - start with rod pointed to my right swing it out to point where I was casting, releasing right before that point. I was much wilder with my backhand cast. Overhand cast is not an option; I tried a couple of times and could feel that shoulder's warning signs and went back to sidearm casts.

Setting the hook and playing the fish was almost more awkward than casting, but I think I can deal with it. I will be down by the sound next weekend and probably get a lot more practice them.

Views: 319

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice to get out there hey Andy.

Yes. It's a really nice day here and it was good to walk around the pond in the sun. Been in a funk since I saw doc earlier in the week, grieving for my likely lost kayaking season. I had big plans; a long list of destinations. Catching a few fish helps make me feel a bit more upbeat...

Andy I can truly relate if and when I do chance to get out don't mater weather we catch a fish or to it's just golden time since they are so few between. Enjoy my friend its all golden..........

hey i know how you feel buddy.... i basically had to give up fly fishing and casting for preds because of neck shoulder and arm pain. now i flip dropshot, bobber fish or vertical jig for panfish. less repetitive arm mvt during the day. i hope they have a solution for you... mine seems to be inoperable.

Won't know for sure until MRI (hopefully this week) but he felt pretty confident that what he saw on ultrasound could be stitched. The problem is that it was not an accident or atypical incident that causes tearing in my joints; they just don't stand up to normal use all that well. So even if he gets me back to 100% I need to restrict myself to about 80%, if that makes any sense.

i know that game everyday... i believe lifting and repetitive motion of my lower back is at 10- 20%... one doctor said he wouldnt lift 10lbs with my back. if i try to push it any harder than i pay for it for many days. thats why im giving it my best with the time i have now because i dont know how much time i will have in this sport before i finally say enough is enough.

After my knee surgery I gave up running. I can likely walk and bike at a leisurely pace to a ripe old age but if I continued to run I would probably be looking at another procedure within a few years. After my shoulder heals I will likely be able to paddle again but won't do long transits or go on really windy days. If younger guys offer to carry my boat down to the water I will let them.

Went back with a longer stiffer spinning rod this afternoon for a few minutes and picked up another bass and a bream; pretty much carbon copies of the photos, so just look at them again. ;^>

Felt slightly less awkward today and had a few near perfect casts. Practice, practice, practice...

I sense a lot of determination.....hope you are inspired by your efforts!

just glad your geting out and fishing Andy!

Andy , you can do it , 45 years ago when I was a Pup I read in Field and Stream or Outdoor Life  that you should use a spinning rod in your dominate hand because your reaction time is better , I being use to a casting rod I  had to change my handle hand to the left , and never looked back , now it is just natural to reel with my left hand leaving me free to set the hook quicker with my right hand .  LOFR

I do use (and always have) my dominate hand to hold the rod and set the hook. That is what I have to get used to switching away from.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
58 minutes ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
59 minutes ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
20 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
23 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service