Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I fish mainly from shore and I know how to catch bluegill...(I catch scuds of the little guys) but im not even really sure where to start looking for the big ones. I fish in areas that are fished a lot so there is tons of pressure everywhere. I know private ponds are my best bet but not everyone is willing to let any old body fish in their own backyard honey holes. Some tackle recommendations or new techniques to try would be welcome. Would love to find some giant 'gills in southern ohio.

Views: 2101

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Well Sean I might just as well throw in my two cents. GGGGENERALLY I try to locate big gills during the pre spawn or spawn. When those events are over ya gotta go deep into cover or deep water. My main thing is trying to locate big ones early in the year on any given new body of water to me and then return when mating is all done . Fortunately I have a boat and way too much time on my hands.
I used to write everything down in a journal so I could look at it later and refer to it's info on locations on lakes I'm basically new to. After the spawn the BIg Uns are still there , just not were they were during spawn. If you look long enough on here you'll find some fellas to watch like WALT, JIM G. ., LED HEAD, SIR JEFFREY , REX , AND THIS LIST IS LENGTHY. IF I wanted to find big uns outta state I'd head to North Carolina and look up Jeffrey and follow him were ever he went . No need to fish just watch him and it would be a learning experience for ya. Better yet just hook a line to the back of the RED CHARIOT and just have him tow ya !!!!!!!!!!! hhhhhhha hhhhhhha . That fella has forgot more than alot of us know and will give you any answer ya ask of him!!!!!!!!! If he's towing ya he can't get away and hide then !!!!!
Yup lots of info on here to be sure and there is no substitute for time on the water . You will find big uns close to home , and most likely in small public waters like one of the fellas mentioned ...........

Sean, Don't be afraid to knock on some doors! Even up here in the the land of 10,000+ lakes there are a few lakes that have some true blue giants but are land locked. What I mean about land locked is that all the land surrounding the lake has been bought up and is no longer accessable. I have knocked on a lot of doors over the years. Some are a "no" and that is ok. I will try again a year later. One thing I like to do is to state that I am catch and release only and that I fish alone. I have even offered yardwork service for access. Sometimes that works! Once access is gained always stay true to your word! 

Float tubes are a great way to get yourself off shore! They are fairly inexpensive and are really fun! They (float tubes) can also aide you in getting access into private watres too! People are facsinated by them and want to learn more about this neat little boat you have, a real good icebreaker! I hope this helps! Good luck!

great comments, fellas. I like Carl's approach...follow Jeff!

I have a kayak you pedal, Patrick. Do you think that would intrigue people ?
I probably should get a float tube....

This Saturday (my only day off work) I plan to take a trip to a little pond in Cooper Hollow Wildlife Area. This is the best public spot I can think of in my driving range to catch bluegill. I will definitely post pics of any catches and be glad to get any advice. (real quick my dad owns a pizza shop in which I deliver pizzas 6 days of the week so that's why I only get the one day off and really don't wanna drive all that far lol)

I've seen great bass caught of out of the Scioto River, not sure if that's by you. It took me a while to find places here so close to Chicago to fish but it really just takes some looking.

Yeah the Scioto and Ohio are minutes away but like you said finding spots. I have been looking more and more into the rivers. Its just a whole new animal to me and got learn it like anything else

Some times, you just have to sacrifice the drive to get the minimal fishing pressure to maximize the catching of monstrous gills, or any species. I practically gave up on the waters that are too small, and the fishing pressures are way too high. Time to spend that early hours to travel, sleep in the car if you must, and enjoy that day on the water. However, once you have a family, all bets are off. Of course, there are some few lucky ones that can hit the waters regardless. Me, I rather fish with my family whenever I can get, and if I can fish alone, it'll be a rare chance, but blessed, even if I can't catch anything.

Some lakes allow you to keep 5 or 10 or 15 bluegills per day. It might help for bluegills to grow bigger. About 10 years ago that Cook Co Forest Preserve work on large bluegills. Some lakes is 8 inch min. to keep and release all under 8 inch. It don't work very well and about 4 years ago they change to allow to keep 15 bluegill per day. Bluegills where I fish seem getting bigger now. Of course we release all over 7 inch 'gills. I caught and release few 9 inch there!

I live near and used to fish one of the first  lakes where they tried this experiment in Cook County, it was working very well for a few years. Bluegills had to be 8 inch min. and only allowed to keep 10 a day but, when word got out about nice sized gills people were taking out bucket fulls of 6 and 7 inch gills only saw a few actually make it to 8 inches.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
20 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
20 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
21 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
21 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
21 hours ago
21 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
Tuesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
Tuesday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service