Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I'm just curious as to what brand of fishing lines other Bluegill fishermen use and prefer. I am quite picky about the quality of monofilament line I use because I fish with only 2 lb test in a relatively snag free, clear water lake that has the potential for very big BGs. Yozuri has been recommended by a couple of friends.

Views: 235

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

6lb flame green fireline with roughly 5 feet of 4 lb mono leader.
I always liked Berkely xt green in 4lb for my gill work. I do use yozuri hybrid in 8lb green on my finesse bass rods and love the sensitivity. But overall XT in green has never let me down.
Jeff, I'm about ready to try some Fireline Crystal Translucent in 6 lb test and 2 lb diameter for some deeper gilling with spoons and a 6 lb flourocarbon leader of 2 to 3 feet. I'll let you know how I do as it may aid in your deep, clear So-Cal lakes. Jim
I've been hooked on Fireline crystal in the 1-2lb diameters for some time now....far less memory than mono's, and without that rubberband effect.....I haven't experienced any line twist, but I never tie direct. I always use a small barrel swivel and 24" of 6lb Fuoro at the business end. Cutting fireline can be a problem unless your a Northern Pike....I use a small battery operated cauterizer and actually burn the line.
Hey Bill...does the FL Crystal work good on ice fishing? Seems it would. I have a tough time reading strikes on my wire indicator with 4 and 6 mono when I jig deeper than 25 ft for big yellow perch and walleyes. What's your thoughts?
I use 6lb fireline in the smoke color and I tie directly to the jig/lure. I fish a lot of gin clear waters and it doesn't effect the fish from biting. It is 1lb dia and damn near invisable in the water. No line twist, it helps if you close the bail manually. I fish a lot of laydowns and this line is tough!
Really love the fireline and Power pro.I do sometimes use 4lb test on my ultralites normally I dont care what kind of mono all the same to me.
Trilene XL.
I've used the 2lb Yo-Zuri Ultra Soft Hybrid in the green in my spinning set-up for a year now. I like it. Casts well, seems stronger than 4lb Trilene that I used to use. It definately has fewer wind knots. This may sound weird but I like the feel of it. It seems easier to me to tie knots with than regular 4lb mono, even though its thinner. I'm going to stick with it for a while, I think.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
3 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
3 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
4 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
4 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
4 hours ago
4 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
22 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service