Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Do you prefer electric or just a plain 'ol blade?

Views: 5273

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like Forschner for most of my work.  If you want to go crazy the Shun is the best.

Craig

The before and after......As long as my hand strength is good I like a regular filet knife.....No matter what you pay for one it has to be maintained sharp......I have a dozen or so from Rapala, West Marine......I just sharpen them all and change every dozen fish or so.....this gives me the best results......

I can make about 40 panfish an hour table ready.......So with a bluegill limit of 30 in North Carolina I can start, clean up and store in less than an hour........I've seen faster anglers on Electric knives but they had more waste of flesh in my opinion......I started at Fandal's Fish Market back in Louisiana for tips.......

I have three Rapala fillet knives and a electric knife. I rarely keep enough fish to warrent using my electric knife any more. I have a 4" and two 7" ones, and use them all at one time or another. I agree with Jeffrey on keeping them sharp. I never put away a knife untill it has been sharpend, that way I know the next time I go to use it, it will be ready to go.My oldest Rapala is about 30 years old.

I've got an ancient Rapala and a new adjustable one from Cutco ...like them both wouldn't ever switch to electric for fear something would come up missing!

I might have six or ten knives who's counting. they are in a coffee can and I try  to sharpen them all at the same time, my favorite is the one that's sharp kershaw and sabatier seem to stand out as taking and keeping the edge. I also have an electric that I use when the notion strikes.  Not to hijack your thread but has any one tried the electric sharpeners that use diamond hones?

I have a Fiskars and several Rapala fillet knives. Those Rapala fillet knives are just hard to beat for the price and the durability for the average Joe, and I love mine. I like the more flexible blades for the skinning process of the fish cleaning chores. I find that as I get older I have to take just a little more time filleting the fish, and I almost never fillet anymore than 25 or 30 these days. A dozen nice panfish is plenty for me and Linda.

Dexter-Russell......non stainless, high carbon steel blade. More frequent sharpenings, but much easier and faster to sharpen than stainless.

Many of you know that I cook for a living.  Knives, and keeping them sharp, are a must for me as a course of my job.

I will say that I do cheat, and use an electric most of the time.  I've got 5 kids, so if I want a fish dinner, I need either 4 - 7 catfish in the 5 lbs class, or about 15 or more White Bass.  I typically catch and keep A LOT of White Bass, so the electric gets used more often.  I just cut through the ribs on the White Bass, then cut the rib bones out.  However, catfish of keeping size usually have ribs that are to strong for my electric to cut, so I will use a regular fillet knife for that.

When cleaning BIG fish, like Ahi, sides of Salmon, that 24 lbs Blue catfish that I caught last year, etc., I will actually use a hollow-ground carving knife (for carving Roast Beef) to skin the fish.  The larger cutting surface, and the hollow-ground pockets make easy work of skinning that large a fillet.

I agree with Jeffery also and have always used Rapala fillet knives, Might try some others in the future, however I never have a problem putting an edge on that you can shave with. With that said you do have to change knifes every dozen fish. I hope to get allot of use from them this summer.

I am also a wood carver and my carving tools are way sharper than a razor.  From sharpening the carving tools I have learned to use a razor strop for sharpening and they do a fine job on my fillet knives which get changed frequently while cleaning fish.  Most of my fillet knives are either Schrade or Uncle Henry blades.  Mostly 7".

When you are looking at a cooler full of fish the electric knife is what will do most of the work, I'm actually looking for a new one right now, the one I have is one its last legs. One summer I burned up 3 electric knives cleaning bluegill and I have not found the one yet that stands up to the enduring torture I put one through, can yall recommend one ? I also use plain ole blades from Gerber, Kershaw, and Uncle Henry, I flex the blades as I'm cutting out the ribs, but the main thin is to keep them sharp. I use a plasma steel to keep them sharp with just a few strokes, they could cut you just looking at them.Oh yea , I like the soft rubber non slip handles.    LOFR

Im a Rapala-Martinni man. I buy nice ones anytime the price is right; flea markets and ebay stuff. I also have a Berkley stainless Walmart special. It was about $10 when I got it?

I inherited a folding filet knife from my dad, too; I dont know how old it is. 

The ones that get used? One of the garden variety Martinni's and the Berkley. Why mess with success?

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Lure Histories in the group Lure History
"This year my old Rattle Traps have been catching again in the 3",1/2 oz, and 3,5",3/4oz…"
5 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"The Rattle Traps over the windy flats have called Fish up and done well. 2 mid sized and two…"
5 hours ago
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far.  "
5 hours ago
5 hours ago
5 hours ago
"Here are some Classic Baits I've thrown this Year (2024) so far. "
5 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
6 hours ago
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Tracy."
20 hours ago
tracy willis commented on Troy Dorman's photo
23 hours ago
tracy willis commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"toad!!"
23 hours ago
dick tabbert posted a photo

Big rubber soider

Prototype of a big rubber spider 3x3" with a #4 2xl hook.
yesterday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

Vince with two nice ones

"Thanks, Jeff! Yes, he's soon to be 16!"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"Ah! That's the Mustache!"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0180

"This is the one I caught the perch on. Mushtache Minnow."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"John, it's a mess but as soon as the mustache minnow gets wet it takes on the looks of a…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on Troy Dorman's photo
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Yeah, growing some Slab Perch there Dick! A mustache?"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0194

"Thanks Jeffrey."