Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Many years ago, I read an article on bluegill fishing in Florida. The author was a professional fisheries biologist and had made quite a study of different artificial baits. He found that small, dark-colored jigs (1/16th ounce or smaller) tipped with a white pork rind or similar substance seemed to get the most strikes/casts. I tried it and was quite successful with an ultra-light spinning rod. Then I transferred the idea to fly rod baits by using dark nymphs tipped with white. I found a white leather golfing glove (not a golfer) and cut it into tiny "pork rind" strips. The leather does not dry as hard as real pork rind. Another good material can be made using very fine nylon mesh and white silicone caulk. Just smear the caulk thinly on the mesh on a piece of wax paper or saran wrap. After it sets up, cut it into strips. This stuff never dries out. The fly rod is my favorite bluegill tool. A 7-foot 3/4 weight with a weight-forward floating line, tapered knotless leader, and as light a tippet as I can see to tie is my choice. Gets kind of exciting when something bigger hits the jig. Now, I don't throw rocks at crickets and wax worms either. Dry flies over a shallow spawning bed create some excitement, too.

Views: 281

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Really excellent observations.

Good stuff, Loren!
Loren you are right ,i guess if i would admit it i catch more gills and chinks on darker nymphs than any other flies.
i sometimes thank we fly fishers tie flies as much for us as the fish,thus the bright colors and wiggle legs.although these will catch fish if you thank about it,the reality is there are not to many bright colored nymphs .
you sure make a good point,simple and plane still catches fish just like it always did.

you can't mow duck grass
Black ant nymphs or flies also work well. You are correct in the lack of color in aquatic insects and their larvae. They mostly fall between light tan and black. Bait crickets are tan and mayfly larvae are of a similar hue. Now, why do wax worms or maggots in the lighter colors work so well? How about red worms, too? Guess sunfishes must be omnivores. I still like to tip the darker lures with a strip of white leather or similar material.
i have always wondered why blue gill have such an affinity for the color red,it seems that red but flies always do better on gills than most.
but i catch a lot of fish on dragon fly nymphs,and scuds,both of these are dull colored for the most part.
i guess that is why i love the sport of fly fishing so much,you are always learning ,i know i am even after fifty + yrs. i am still amazed at the learning curve of this sport.
some of the new flies i have seen work well too,and i must confess i do love to tie and fish them.
what a great sport we have here in fly fishing and the mighty gill, is in my opinion built for the fly rod.

gators eat people

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
18 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
21 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"An Instrumental Guitar recording of mine to commemorate. …"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Trout Season opens April 6th in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for stocking."
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
"My favorites through the Years: Manns Jelly Worm, Manns Auger tail, Charlie Brewers 4" on a…"
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
Sunday
Sunday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

"Thank you, Jeffrey!"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service