Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Pattern:

You’re just starting to research your equipment budget and expenses on your new endeavor on Bluegill fishing. You want a do it all tackle system to get you in the game. Realistically there is no such animal but some forms of rigging can get you close. So im publishing my equipment system that kept me happy when I was on a very slim fishing budget for years. Of course every angler is different and personal preferences vary… this is just my selection that ive tweaked and feel confident to recommend it to any one.

Rigging:

• Basis or back bone of the system is the Berkley 5-6 light action Lightning Rod. I have landed LMB over 5lbs with this setup. Even the smallest Gills seem to fight like warriors with this setup. With the braid you feel every headshake $34.00 recommended price
  • 6-0 recommended braid … I really like the Spider wire or PowerPro. With the braid you only need a quick snap with your rod to set the hook. Eliminates the need for large sweeping motions or a longer rod to set the hook with stretchy mono.
  • 1000 series spinning reel… currently i'm using a Shimano Sienna 1000 series reel after  continuous Lews bail spring fails. $29.00 every where
  • Favorite live baits Night crawler bits, waxies, and Gulp Maggots or 1” Minnows

Presentation:

this hardware setup is ideal for fixed bobber, slip bobber or drop shotting. Last year was the first time using fixed bobber Carl’s Quill floats and have used them successfully on this setup. Drifting the wobble bobber with your favorite panfish jig (Tabbert Jellie Jig shn) also works great with this rig. When it comes to summer peak drop shotting the deep breaks is a killer method for panfish and this is ideal hardware for that presentation. Gills are biting on the surface have a fly casting bubble handy with your favorite popper or floating fly.

This system comes close to doing it all and is great starting point for the beginning gill enthusiast.

Views: 1279

Replies to This Discussion

well thank you Mo... a lot of thought went into this setup and its main purpose was to stow in the car and be rigged at a moments notice. ya never know when you will be passing a BOW and access that needs to be explored. i take it everywhere with me and it comes with me on the boat.

one of the main reason i like the braid is its strength per diameter ... i could swap spools and put the 15 or 20# braid on drag a worm through some dense cover and drag a bass out. with that in mind i have that confidence to horse a fish out of cover... never broke a fish off yet.

most of the time on the boat when im in panfish mode its slip bobber setup for this rig or drop shot.

i really like the floro now for ice fishing... switching all of my setups to 2# floro... its still very sensitive and a lot more rugged than mono

Yep, I keep one outfit rigged with a slip float at all times on my boat. I played with the drop shot rig for panfish last summer. It worked very well. I use it all the time for bass. It never dawned on me to use it for panfish. I have one outfit spooled up with 2lb test S.O.S line from Leland Lures. I am still getting use to it. Do you think 2lb test is overkill or do you find that there is a big difference between the number of bites you get with 2 vs. 4? We don' t ice fish here in Arkansas.

its the thinness of the line that allows you to use tiny jigs and allows the jig to sink to deep water quickly. another reason why flouro is more efficient on the ice is its density that allows it to sink more quickly also.

slip bobber fishing to me is so addictive some days ill start using the slip bobber rig and find out i still have it in my hand at the end of the day.

I have been fishing for over 35 years and I can't believe that last year was the first time I ever tried a slip float rig. It is now my go to rig. About the only time I don't fish it is if I am swimming a jig for crappie or bream. I missed my chance to ice fish. I was born in Milwaukee and grew up in Chicago but my dad wasn't into it. It sounds like a lot of fun. At least it looked fun on Grumpy Old Men. I do miss the smelt though. I can eat my weight in smelt.

RSS

Latest Activity

Jeffrey D. Abney commented on tracy willis's photo
Thumbnail

nice pan of gills

"Nice mixed bag…..enjoy the fry!"
16 hours ago
tracy willis posted a photo

nice pan of gills

eater size gills and shellcrackers. fairly easy to catch a mess since they nest raiding bass and…
17 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"Very generous offer Dick!"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"I believe sinking Dick. "
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"I made a couple up for you. Do you have sinking or floating ants John?"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"Great tip for the Tiny Torpedo I've not tried on my go to Smallmouth Bass topwater Bait.…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's group Lure History
"Us old timers /old schoolers can relate.  Bass Week: Top 5 Old-School Lures that Still…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

Flying carpenter ant

"Great work Dick!"
yesterday
dick tabbert posted a photo

Flying carpenter ant

#6 curved shank hook
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a photo

Osprey Taking Flight…..4/14/2024

See dozens of these raptors every time you fish on the Albemarle….
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted photos
yesterday
Jeffrey D. Abney posted a status
"Got out behind five days in a row of high wind warnings….washing machine effect on our creeks but grinded out a mess…mix of crappie & bass"
yesterday
Thumbnail

spawn is on

"Go get ‘em Tracy……fill up your stringer……."
Saturday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Black Beetle

"Thank you Jeffrey. Working on tying some different flies."
Saturday
tracy willis commented on tracy willis's photo
Thumbnail

spawn is on

"thanks Jeff.  theyve colored up this week.  need to get back further in another creek to…"
Saturday
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

Black Beetle

"Very nice craftsmanship Dick!"
Saturday
Thumbnail

spawn is on

"White crappie on the board!, good work Tracy….."
Saturday
tracy willis posted photos