Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Okay folks, since I have nothing in the fishing arena to share (well..that's not true), I'll share with you what I've found.

Now, Carl introduced me to this glue last year. Did plenty of test on it. However, a reformulation just go released for E6000 glue. This time around, rather than "Do not expose to high heat source", now, you can literally toss it into the washer and dryer.

Fix wife's various clothing types (yep..no duct tape). So far, it has been 4 months of washing and drying. No problem yet. No fray, crack, break, or even loss of glue after a full 5 days of curing (just in case). Fixed our snowboarding overall clothing. Same deal.

Now, for the heavy impact stuff. Got back into archery for hunting. Took a few carbon shaft arrows, and used various glue types. Each arrow has 3 polyvinyl fletch vanes (Blazer). This is not about archery's component test. Rather, it's about the glue. Primary glues:

Cheap $0.99 acrylic cyanoacrylate (gel)

Some Chinese knock-off acrylic cyanoacrylate (gel)

Some off-brand acrylic cyanoacrylate made in Mexico (gel)

Krazy glue

Super Glue

Loctite acrylic cyanoacrylate (gel)

Gorilla's acrylic cyanoacrylate (gel), 2014 reformulated

E6000, 2014 reformulated

Arrow's combo:

$0.99 glue - Chinese's glue - Mexico's glue

Krazy glue - Super Glue - Loctite glue

E600 glue - Gorilla's glue - Loctite glue

E600 glue - E600 glue - E600 glue

Gorilla's glue - Gorilla's glue - Gorilla's glue

Loctite glue - Loctite glue - Loctite glue

* Yep..not having enough confident in the cheapo glues. Not bothering to fletch too many arrows with the cheapo glues.

All arrows were fletched the same day, with proper front and back of vane sealing. Total cure time was 3 days. Fletched with Bitzenburger Dial-o-Fletch, extreme right helical (adding as much spin as possible for centrifugal test during mid flight)

Impact test, at 30-ft, for maximum impact force:

Arrows were allowed to pass through a 11 layers modified target block (2 layers of carpet, 4 layers of thick cardboard, 4 layers of linoleum, and 1/4-in chicken fencing) to represent all the possible rough element of hunting. The chicken fencing is the roughest part of the test, since the vane (also being under test) will be ripped, stripped, and stress-test. Vanes' results during test

1st firing test:

Cheap $0.99 acrylic cyanoacrylate (gel): peeled off at 1st layer.

Some Chinese knock-off acrylic cyanoacrylate (gel): peeled off at 1st layer

Some off-brand acrylic cyanoacrylate made in Mexico (gel): : peeled off at 1st layer

4th firing test:

Krazy Glue: peeled right off at 1st layer.

Super Glue: peel right off at 2nd layer.

16th firing test:

Gorilla's acrylic cyanoacrylate (gel): Pretty darn strong. Still on.

Loctite acrylic cyanoacrylate (gel): Finally came off at the chicken wire fencing.

E600: Pretty darn strong. Still on.

40th and final firing test (my bow arm gotten pretty spent, shaking like a leaf):

Arrows broke after the Muzzy 3X broadheads pierced the testing block, going through 3 layers of hay bails, and 1/2 wood fencing. Result, vanes still in tack, and fully glued onto the broken shafts.

Lesson learned:

Reformulated Gorilla gel glue and E6000 will be my only glue in the household. Giving the rest of my useless glues away.

Views: 3148

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

what we do with a big wild hog is grind him up , add spices , and some boston butts or boxes of bacon pieces or ends, then stuff them in sausage casings and smoke those sausages, they then need to be fully cook but they are tasty then.  LOFR

especially with cheese and jalapeno mixed in too.  LOFR

Water base is all I use. It's cleans up easier not to mention no smell and of all the hundreds of flies I've made I haven't herd of any falling apart. It's head cement and made for glueing heads. Dries clear and really dries in a few minutes at least to the touch. I have never use a solvent based cement so I can not comment on it but being as I tie in the dining room and have been known to knock things over which is what drew me to waterbase in the first place I can clean it up before it sets in the carpet with soap and water. I'm sure there are people who have used both but for me the advantages far outweigh the dissagvantages.

dick=i dont think there is a solvent for super glue.i use clear nail polish for thread wraps.basically lacquer i guess.the bottles are convenient .i apply every thing with a needle.just use some wax paper and squeeze or brush a few drops on the wax paper then apply with needle.just the way i taught myself.i can sort out my tying stuff for 2 hours and have it look like a bomb went off in 2 minutes

This is the bottle I use for my cement. Take the cap off put a drop on you can see it soak into the threads and put the cap back on it. I love this outfit been using it for 2 years now.

Its fast and simple.

I like the nail polish option as head cement too! I have about 15 colors mostly donated by the ladies in the house a few came from "Dollar Tree." I like the clear the best followed by black, green and orange.  I have some of the loon water base head cement rarely use it;  often I use plain old super glue by squeezing a drop onto my bodkin and apply to the wraps I can control where it goes pretty well but have to use a knife to scrape buildup off the bodkin occasionally. I can only remember two bugs where the thread unraveled probably a poor whip finish on my part. I am going to get one of the head cement bottles with the needle applicator and put some nail polish in and see how that works.  Like someone else mentioned a good whip finish should stand alone but I just got in the glue habit and like the extra security

LOFR;;   wasn't that bbq ribs we had at the rendevou;; from one of the hogs you killed??  all I can say guys;;  YOU MISSED SOME AWFUL FANTASTIC FOOD!!!

Carl , those were regular pork ribs , but yes those were tasty !   That's the way I like to do them, I was trying to impress yall. LOFR

Wait till yall try my Red Beans and Rice this Spring !   LOFR

I want to try wild hog sometime. I quit hunting years ago, but happily eat game. I think I would enjoy bow hunting wild pigs (shh! don't tell the brooding teenager). I made bows for a little while but I get inflammation  of the cartilage around the sternum if I shoot too much. But a few practice shots to make sure I remember as well as I think I do and a couple of well placed actual shots I could manage...

I feel your pain , I still shoot an old Ben Pearson.   LOFR

I have a black locust log that has been aging open air under cover a few year. It probably has some nice bows in it if I took the time to work it...

This is a 45# hickory I made for a friend:

One I shot for a while till it started to hinge:

I like self bows. Making them is tough; the hinge on the one above started as just the slightest change in the curve but it gets the tiniest bit worse every time you use it. And there is no sweet spot like a wheelie bow where it gets easier to draw.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
18 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
18 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
19 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
19 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
19 hours ago
19 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
Tuesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
Tuesday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service