Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I been doing some drop shooting lately and I do enjoy it. But I been getting some wicked bad line twist. Idk if my line just got messed up somehow or if it's the drop shot causing it? I rarely ever get line twist but the rod I been using for drop shot has been getting it bad. I'm throwing some long bombs too so idk if it may be getting this in flight?

Any of you ever had bad line twist with using drop shot before?

Views: 443

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

maybe a barrel swivel will help above your set up ? 

YEA SMOLTZ;; BAD THING ABOUT DROP SHOTTING;; IS GETTING LINE TWIST!  LIKE TIN KNOCKER SAYS;; ADDD A BARREL SWIVEL;; THAT WILL HELP;; TO SOME DEGREE !  BUT ALSO REALISE;; SPINNING REELS;; INVARIALABY;; CAUSE LINE TWIST THEMSELVES !  AT THE END;; OF EACH FISHING TRIP;; STRIP OFF; ALL OF YOUR TACKLE;; OPEN THE BAIL;; EITHER;; GO FOR A WALK;; OR;; LET THE LINE GO;;; INTO THE WATER;;;  STRIPPING THE REEL;; ALL THE WAY DOWN;; THEN;; RE-WIND THE LINE !  THE LINE;; WILL ;;; (( HOPEFULLY )) REWIND ONTO YOUR SPOOL CORRECTLY;; FOR  THE NEXT FISHING TRIP  !!

Tin knocker,
Yeah I thought of that. I'm definitely going to do that next outing.

Carl. I did that today on my buddies boat. Worked out good.
I never knew that about drop shoting. Now I know. Thanks guys.

SMOLTZ;; WE;RE ONLY TO GLAD TO HELP OUT !  IF IT CONCERNS FISHING;; CHANCES ARE EXCELLENT; THAT SOMEBODY HERE;; KNOWS ABOUT THE PROS;; AND CONS !  LET US KNOW;;IF YOU NEED MORE ADVISE !  SOME OF THE ANSWERS;; MIGHT EVEN BE-- CORRECT !  LOLOLOL

Drop-shotting what a productive method for fishing. The thing is it could twist your line very easily because when reeling in the bait the offset caused by the hook and bait could easily become a little propeller twisting the line on the way in. I have the problem all the time with slip float setup with the bait twisting the line all the way up to the split shot.

Now if you are using mono the problem becomes very noticeable because of the stiffer torsional characteristics of mono, the twist follows all the way up the length of the line. When using braid the twist is there but it is at the duty end of the line which easily is solved when letting the bait hang unspins the line before it is casted … just a momentary pause cures the twisting … the twisting does not follow up the line length as in monofilament.  It’s why you don’t hear of fishermen complain of line twist with braid or other superlines.

In a perfect world when using spinning equipment is that a twist is applied to the line as it is spooled onto the reel. When casted the line is equally untwisted as it comes off the spool. Its what happens in between that matters.  A fishing method or bait may cause extra twists in the line that upsets that equal balance of twisting and untwisting.

personally I don’t like adding terminal tackle such as swivels in between the bait and the reel. My recommendation is switch to braid or use the hooks with the combined swivel built into the hook.

Here is my version of the dropshot rig, inspired by the VMC spinshot.  My line still twists a bit, but the bait doesn't spin.  The hook (#6 Owner mosquito) is trapped between two barrel knots on 6# mono.  The little speck on the lower knot is the eye from an size 18 dry fly hook, it's there to keep the knot from pulling through the hook eye when you got a fish on.  The bead adds some color and keeps the hook from going past the upper knot.  The bead can be forced over the knot, but in use, it stays put.  There is also a small barrel swivel about 8" up the line for more twist reduction and it also allows for quick change out of the rig and for storing a bunch of extra rigs in poly bags.  When I first started using dropshot rigs a few years back, I tied the hook on with the palomar knot and had a horrible hook up percentage.  With this design, I rarely miss a fish.

most all drop shot rigs i have seen you run the tag end through the hook eye to keep the hook straight that being said i have never dropped shot  before so im learning as we go very good topic ...

nice design!

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
46 minutes ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
47 minutes ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
19 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
22 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service