Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Prompted by a top soft plastic lure designer, and based on my own extensive experiments over the past three years, I've witnessed that hundreds of my best bluegills fell head-over-fins for a tiny CYLINDER placed on a small jighook's bend. I merely carve 1/4" high  "cans" from  rugged Fishbites (a very effective, popular saltwater oriented scent material) rounded minnow and shrimp bodies. During straight retreives these aromatic circular chunks, which apparently freshwater bluegills absolutely LOVE, acquire water pressure in such a manner that any light hair jig wobbles and swims much like a Rapala plug! Even during the drop , a  1/32 oz to 1/20 oz jig will slowly dive with an alluring side to side shimmy. Strikes,even on tough days, are most enthusiastic, with big 'gills zeroing in on the tasty,action creating cylinder!

Views: 686

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Can we see a pic here John ?

Hi John, Nice to hear from ya,ole pal! I'm terrible at getting or posting photos, but you can see my set-up,in a slightly larger version for crappies and saltwater panfish, as illustrated  in an article by a Canadian author last year ,discussing my cylinder concept. However ,my original discoveries and most fishing were directed right at our ole favorite,Mr Bluegill! that story is at :

http://www.outdoorcanada.ca/How-to-give-your-jig-incredible-action/

JOHN-This is great and GORG PYZER ,Doug Stange's pal did the article !Very cool John ! Excellent ! Still got some of your tin can cut out lures around i tried and caught with years ago .

I do something that might be comparable with one of my most popular bait set-ups… I either thread it on like a grub, start threading like a grub but short it to the first segment of the waxie or pierce the bottom and thru like shown… when done this way the bait combo actually vibrates. When using on 2# mono setup this summer experimenting with lines and line types I could not feel the vibration due to the insensitivity of the line but is readily apparent on thin super lines.

It only vibrates when hooked up in this manner. Is your little cylinder setup similar?

The LCD “Least Common Denominator†Jig set-up

Slip, Yep, you have to use thin line,tho' 4# "tourny' (not over test) mono  works well with the bigger diameter cylinder. As you show, of course, a small jighead and tiny hook allows this lure to "rock"! On what I can see with your rig, if you would stand the grub UPRIGHT, I feel you can acheive a more dynamic side to side swim,by acquiring the water pressure better.

… yeah... it makes sense... going bigger i can see it will certainly cause some excitement with b.crappies and SMB's in my neighborhood.

with this bait ive really scaled down the line to 2# NanoBraid, 4# Nanofil or 8# Gliss these lines are all below the 2# mono diameter

thanks for sharing i will certainly give it a try on the bigger hair jigs especially for crappie... i very rarely go over 1/32 oz nowadays... what type of hair on the jig do you use?

Slip, I usually tie on a 1/28 oz tin jighead carrying a very well sharpened ,"old fashioned" #8 Gold Mustad O'Shaughnessy jig hook (like the length, strength, and hooking angle). and usually tie a sparse pinch of white/gold "wedding dress" material from Jo-Ann's fabrics! Sometimes, I also tie with colored "Finnish Raccoon" hair,but, again, very sparsely. The key attraction should always be the cylinder tail piece, and I prefer these in bright chartreuse.

Bought some of your jigs earlier this year. Didn’t have any luck with the jigs until I tipped them with the same “grub” (Gulp Alive Waxies) that slip sinker showed in his photo. I had been using the waxies on plain jigs with lots of success.

So you are saying that installing the grub in a vertical position on the hook bend is better?

Hi Kelly, Yeah, even when I first started tipping with cylinders on our jigs,I wasn't satisfied with the action, UNTIL I rigged 'em upright like a sitting can,to best receive water pressure. In some cases,pinned these wide  discs up higher on the hook point to acquire even better swimming action. So,if your using a grub,pin it so it sticks straight up -will look strange but gives the extra shimmy that fish love!

John could these “cans” tipped on plain jigs be used ice fishing?

Kelly, I haven't tried em thru the ice (yet) but often vertical jig with a can on the point/bend of the hook, and see very nice wobbling action downward. I've taken nice bluegills,bass, and crappie while doing this, and the fish really hangon to Fishbites tasty cylinders! So, yeah, this combo should be a winner for ice jiggin' ! By the way, I've fished straight downward with plain jigheads & cylinder (even better swaying action without any drag from tied material), as well as wiggling,small ice "spoons".

Is this how one should rig the “grubs” ie Gulp Alive waxies we are using re the bottom two jigs?

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
7 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
7 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
8 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
8 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
8 hours ago
8 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service