Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

On March 1st, the first cooling lake in Illinois will open to fishing. All Winter I have been thinking about an article I read here (but can't find anymore) about spoon fishing for bluegills. I'm ready to go out and buy some (spoons) but I need to know if it is worth the trouble since I mainly fish from shore. Can anyone with bluegill spoon fishing expertise give any helpful advice ?

Views: 3413

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Curious as to what the heck a cooling lake was I did a search and found this - http://www.illinoisgameandfish.com/fishing/IL_0106_02/. Not sure if it's the article you're looking for, but pretty informative for your location. Pretty neat.
Hey Josh
Thanks for the reply and the link. I was aware of that article and Braidwood is the cooling lake of my choice. I fish there often. Best of luck on your next outing.
I am wondering if because the water in the cooling lakes is heated if this heat is enough to keep the shore a little warmer?
Also, are either of the lakes still warmed by an active power plant? Just wondering and getting cabin fever.
Thank you for the cooling lake link. I will do some reading and Googling locations from that information. My car may be headed out there to answer some of these questions- ROAD trip! First I need some fresh bait...
all i know about them is i know they work, i seen them used on videos and any new articles about them. But as for using them i've never used them so i don't have an answer other than that they work.
Thanks Christopher,
I'll do a posting after I try them for the first time.
The man to talk to is Bill 'Musky' Modica... he is the spoondaddy of bluegilling and has numerous blogs, discussions and a group called North American Spoon Chuckers on this very site. He got me started last year spoonin for gills and it is very well worth your effort. And yes, you can do this from the shore.

Check him out, Joe, and I'll try to get back on here with the success that I have had with spoons after Bill get's it started!
Thanks Jim,
I'll go to Bill's page right after I'm through here. Hope I can have the same kind of fortune that you've had at spooning.
Does the cooling lake have gills big enough for spoon fishing? Most of our gills in my region are very tiny near Chicago. i am curious as I would head there with only about a :30 minute drive for me to get to the cooling lake.
Thanks John,
Braidwood Lake is about an hours drive from where I live, I don't know just how big the bluegills have to be in order to catch with a spoon, I do know that there some pretty big gills in that cooling lake 6 to 10 inches easy.
Thanks 2lbgill,
Would I be correct in assuming that you catch 2 pounders pretty regular or is catching one your goal ?
Hey Joe... I hope you checked out Bill Modica's spoonin info on this site. I started using them this year because his success just was too good not to give it a try.

Couple things...there is a learning curve to spoongilling and it takes some practice to get in the game. I would recommend you fish a lake that has lots of gills and at least some 8 inch or better specimens to try out the spoons. I have had my best luck on 1/16 th oz Rattlin Flash spoons tipped with worm pieces or Gulp baits. I fish them slow with the occasional twitch or pop, then anticipate a strike shortly after the twitch. The movement is the trigger. Any quality 4 lb test will do, but 6 lb Fireline Crystal, with an 18 in 6 lb flourocarbon leader, may aid in strike detection in cold water. Switch the treble hooks with the single hook that comes with it and put it on so that the hook point faces the opposite side of the rattle. I also use a small swivel so I can quickly change color/ or
sizes as needed.

All this is Bills stuff, not mine. He is the master. After tirelessly watching his videos and taking mental notes, I finally got to the point where I was catching up to 2 dozen gills on a good outing with the spoons.

I did notice that some of the larger fish, to include my personal best hybrid sunfish, showed a preference for the 1/5 oz Swedish Pimple...an old ice fishing standby for magnum yellow perch. This fish measured 11 1/2 inches and weighed between 1-10 and 1-12. I released the fish, and it may be a 2 pounder this coming year.

Joe, I hope this all helps. One thing I would advise is to not 'give up' quickly, as some anglers do, when trying out new and innovative tactics such as spoon gilling. Good Luck!

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
15 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
18 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"An Instrumental Guitar recording of mine to commemorate. …"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Trout Season opens April 6th in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for stocking."
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
"My favorites through the Years: Manns Jelly Worm, Manns Auger tail, Charlie Brewers 4" on a…"
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
Sunday
Sunday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

"Thank you, Jeffrey!"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service