Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

If you live within an hour or two of Chicago, we will be fishing a bank angling league in the Southwest suburbs which will feature bluegill fishing.

We meet, talk tackle and fish timed events. Unlike most clubs- we are less meeting and more fishing. The club this year will feature accomplishment award medals and anglers will be fishing a self-paced series of achievements. A little learning, some great prizes, tackle, bait at a discount and above all - big big bags of bluegills!

(A typical club 4-hour Spring cold-water catch off bluegill and assorted fish)

If you have questions about fishing with us, drop a line here and I hope to see you out with us some weekend.

Views: 1911

Replies to This Discussion

Chicago Area Bank Fishing Derby & Match Series

If you are interested in fishing matches - course fishing events fished from shore (derby's) and you live near Chicago's suburbs, we will be hosting the 2011 fishing derby series.

No experience necessary you just need to like to fish. All species count so everything you catch is good- total weight of all fish caught in a 4-hour fishing period gives you points. 

This is live bait fishing and the essential fishing for anglers. No lures needed, no boating, just derby-style fishing from shore. Simple equipment and methods to catch fish in Chicago's suburban waters.

ALL FISH COUNT! If you have never seen one of these, it is a fun, fish-catching battle royale fished from shore NO BOATS NEEDED.

All events are fished close to home around Chicago's Suburbs. Only out-of-season fish or undersized bass do not count.

Annual Prizes will be awarded as follows:

1.   Illinois Angler of the Year - North Division [ Chicago area extended ]

2.  Illinois New Angler of the Year - North Division [ Chicago area extended ]

3.  Most Improved Angler 2011 - Illinois North Division [ Chicago area extended ]

Event Prizes will include:

Rods, Reels, Tackle, Gift Certificates and assorted fun prizes for all - not just the winner!

Annual Dues:

Match Series $25

($5 club annual membership + $20 match series)

Match Events are FREE

The match series will be 7 events plus one play-off series (September/October) if anglers are interested - or

we will fish one Club Championship in October.

There will also be an 8th social two-man mad-hatter (mystery partners)

team event [ the match series Summer Break ].

This series is for fun, learning and competition. I invite you to join the match series and fish with us starting in Mid-April though September.

If interested in fishing our derby-style events in this match series - call 773-850-B I T E 

(Chicago Fishing School voicemail).

I look forward to seeing you!

New To Urban Bank Fishing - Want to Learn & Compete - JOIN THE CLUB!

Anglers from the Chicago Fishing School club will also be invited to fish in regional & team USA events.  New anglers are encouraged to join the CFS & match series combined ( $65 total ).

All new club anglers will receive a $30 tackle pack INCLUDED FREE - to get them started including a set of Pro Series live bait floats, ready-fish rigs and hooks and tip sheet showing strategies to help you catch.

Also this year - we will have an accomplishment award system where club members are rewarded for passing milestones with the Club.

Catching 10 lb. of fish for instance rewards that angler in front of the group with an award and certificate. Completing all the milestone awards would mean that you as a club member would have won a complete set of custom medals.

If interested in joining the Chicago Fishing School and fishing the event series - call 773-850-B I T E 

(Chicago Fishing School voicemail).

Event tomorrow:

Start Time: 10:00 a.m.

SOUTH LOT (take first right at entrance!) Parking on Right SIDE!!!

Event Directions & Map

(Lake st. West of I - 355 1.2 miles on right side across from golf course)

Schedule for Saturday (note late draw - in Spring we let the water warm up for events so start time is later than our usual 8 a.m. start)
Note this is a warm-up event and it is free to all! If you are want to see a bag of fish caught - head on over close to our weigh-in time. Fishing will start at 11:30 and finish at 3:30 p.m. If you are spectating you can see some of the hotest fishing between 2:00 - 3:30 and then witness the weigh-in and counting of the fish at 3:45. 

9:00 a.m.

9:30 a.m. draw for spots

9:40 a.m. - Illustration / Tactics for New Members

10:00 a.m. - head down to spots / setup  

new members wishing to observe follow Johnny to his spot with something to sit on and green/brown shirts (nothing brightly colored)

11:00 a.m. - whistle sounds / start fishing

3:00 p.m. - whistle sounds / stop fishing

3:15 p.m. - fish weigh in

If you need directions: 773-850-B I T E

Last event - 83 fish won 78 bluegills and 5 channel cats was the top weight- 17.5 lb. of fish in 4 hours.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
19 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
19 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
20 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
20 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
20 hours ago
20 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
Tuesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
Tuesday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service