Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Catalpa worms have finally showed up this week in east oklahoma.Going with dad to a strip pit with big ole gills in it saturday.Has any body used them for redears? I would think they would work, but never used anything other than redworms. They got to be worth a try while we got em.Happy Fathers day to all my gill'n brothers,enjoy your weekend with your families.

Views: 682

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I AGREE! people fight for catalpa worms here. Catfishing is the main thing goin in the rivers right now with so many people out of work and them lil gooey worms have been the oldtimers trick for many generations.

You know you can pick those worms put them in a brown paper bag and freeze them. When your ready for bait just get you a bag out and when they start to thaw out they come rite back alive. Kinda like cockroaches. They can take anything!
Ya know I was surprised when I vacuumed sealed crawdads and used them days later thinking they'd be dead and they came back from Cryonic suspension
Catalpa worms are great to use for the gills...have had great time using them when
able to find them...but not all catalpa trees have worms so I have been told...must
go a hunting for some here in the sourthern Michigan area....Frogg2
Do Catalpa worms range to New Jersey as far as you know?
I bet very few people over here on the left coast would know what Catalpa Worms were.... But I do :-) I used to spend whole Summers in Louisiana as a kid. My cousins and I would collect Caltalpas, then my Uncle would take us out to some little lakes where we would smoke the Sunnies on them !

Fun times :-)

Peace,
Fish
Well we had a good fathersday trip with the catalpas ( and DAD),we caught a mixed bag.Some 8-9 inch gills,a warmouth,some goggle eyes and a couple largemouth bass to boot.Our mission was to get enough fillets for bream and shrimp creole,mission accomplished.A good time was had by all.No redears were caught,so the jury is still out if the catalpas are good for them,I still beleive they should be.Hope everyone else had a good fathersday.Here is a couple pix from southeast Okieland.
Attachments:
Nice gills Brian. Glad you had a great time with your dad.
Catalpa worms are powerful bait for BIG bluegills and BIG Shellcrackers (aka Redears)!!! Learned quickly about them from some of my Oldtimer fishin buddies that they are the best ticket in town for catchin loads of Monster Panfish!!! And yes, they can be frozen and rethawed and reused again and again for great action!!!

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
6 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
6 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
6 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
6 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
6 hours ago
6 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service