Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Can bluegills live or feed in ponds covered with algae? What happens to a lake/pond with no fishing pressure, if it is good to start out with.

Checking out some new lakes & ponds. Will bluegill feed, if a pond is totally  covered with algae. Second lake in chain water is very clear. About a mile walk down a mountain bike trail. I rider said he has been biking there since he was a kid & never seen anyone fishing. Read at another lake that the fishing was good there. Bluegills, pumpkinseeds, black crappie, yellow perch, & largemouth bass are reported. Almost need a chainsaw to get to the second lake. No lawnmowers in sight. Heavily wooded area with a lot of black flies, marshy. Fairly clear water. Down a bumpy dirt road, with a long walk to lake. Wondered if it would be worth it?

3rd spot - road between 2 lakes easily accessed & good parking. Caught and released a  7" sunfish spawning. Two others about the same size I couldn't get to bite. Didn't have any worms with me. Caught with a piece of a jig tail. Bluegills had a lot of the black spot disease. Pumpkinseeds didn't.

Views: 3923

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nice Seed' Frank. Sure, BG will live in a pond covered by algae. Are you certain it's algae? This time of year Duckweed and Watermeal can completely cover a pond's surface..... Fertile water produces a lot of aquatic growth, which can be beneficial to the fish but can also lead to a lot of stunted BG, dependent upon some other factors also.

If no one fishes it, there may be two scenarios. One, it doesnt hold fish worthy of most anglers consideration. Two, it's simply too much trouble to fish it, kinda' sounds like what your describing. If that be the case, it could be well worth your time to pay it a visit, provided it is open to the public?

THANKS, FOR THE INFO THERE ARE SO MANY LAKES IN THE AREA I AM SUPRISED SOMEONE HAS FISHED THEM ALL. THAT IS IN ONE CITY, NOT COUNTY. TONS OF OPPORTUNITY. GOOD THING I CAN FISH MY WAY HOME FROM WORK 3RD SHIFT. HARD TO EVEN TELL WHAT ROADS MIGHT HAVE ACCESS TO THE LAKES. ONE HAS A FISHING PIER, WHICH SEEMS TO BE THE KISS OF DEATH WHERE ALL THE SMALL FISH CONGREGATE. MY ANSWER TO FISHING LAKES THAT HAVE STUNTED LAKES IS FISHING WITH 3 # 6 PRERIGGED HOOKS WITH A SMALL SINKER ON THE BOTTOM. SOMETIMES, I CAST IT OUT & REEL IT IN. EVEN IF THEY ARE SMALL, IT IS FUN TO CATCH 2 OR 3 AT A TIME. IT SEEMS TO HELP FIND A BIG GILL AMONG SMALLER ONES. USUALLY, I CATCH THE BIGGEST ONE ON THE BOTTOM HOOK.

As Tony mentioned, whether the weeds are algae, such as filamentous algae which many people call "moss," or watermeal or duckweed which grow on the surface, makes a big difference.  Algae isn't necessarily bad; watermeal and duckweed almost invariably are, and often cause total fishkills.  If you take a photo of the weeds, pretty close-up, I can probably tell you what they are.

As long as the bass or other predators have not been fished out, lakes with little to no fishing pressure often hold big bluegill.  I've even read articles by devoted bluegill fishermen up your way in which they state that's one of their primary criteria for choosing a lake to fish - they try to find the most remote, least-fished lakes they can. Less fishermen means the 'gills have a better shot at getting big.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
6 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
6 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
6 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
6 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
6 hours ago
6 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service