Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

I have owned 2 fly rods in my lifetime,,,one I bought when I was 16, and one about ten years after that.

I had no idea what the sizes meant and just bought what Kmart or Walmart had.

Now that I know a bit more, I was looking at my two fly rods...the one I bought first is for 9-10 and the other one is same...both are on the heavy side.

I want to buy a 3-4 for bass and bluegill,,but I am not crazy about a 4 piece rod...

Looking to spend about $100.

What yall suggest? Remember, I am in new orleans and we don't have choices like many places do.

Bass pro and cabelas are an hour a way but I pastor a church out that way so I am there each weekend.

What yall think?

Good name brand...

Someone posted on another forum they bought an okuma rod and it was like casting with a 2x4.

Any suggestions? I am pretty good with casting and don't want a beginners rod.

Views: 306

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Temple Forks Outfitters has what you are looking for. They are sold at both Cabelas and Bass pro. The professional series runs a little over $100 they are 2 piece rods and carry a lifetime unconditional guarentee. Talk to the fly rod folks there they can fix you up. I have a 8' 2 wt. and a 8'6" 4 wt..!!!!!!!!
TFO replace my 2 wt. when I broke it sent it in on Monday had a brand new one back on Friday!!!!!!
i fished one in 5wt on the merced river in calif. it in one of the best rods i have ever casted
You mean a TFO rod or an Okuma?
TFO professional series
temple fork from bass pro is a good rod 2 pc 4wt, also hobbs creek fly rods are good also at bass pro for about the same price around 100.00 i think this is a 3 pc rod
I through a Pflueger! 2pc 5 wt Smooth as silk. I found a miss print on a web site and got 2 for under $100 for the both. I throw a 6 wt cheap line that bass pro had on sale for $10 last christmas. (Got 5 packs) My average casting is 50 to 55ft. Yea! Its not all about the money you put in it. Just find something that your comfortable with and let her rip...... My fav is a poppin bug tied on the end of a 13 ft BnM telescopic pole. Whos says you gotta be technical? Just get out there and get after it! Friend of mine throws a sage setup that hes got over $400 bucks in. Oh how he got mad when I backed the boat off the bank and was castin twice as far and catchin 4 times the fish! He sure did look pretty sittin on the back of the boat with that High dolla pole though! HAHAHA
Really for me, i make a lot of casts in a day, i am left handed, so i cast with right hand and it gets tiring with that heavy rod...really heavy fly rod.

I figure its time to get a new one, a lighter one that i can throw without having to struggle with the weight of a 9-10.

thanks all of you for your responses. I am going to bass pro tomorrow. yipeee!
Tim, Have fun at BPS, and let us know what you decide on!!!!!!!
going to BPS right aftter LSU game.
i have never used a fly rod myself and dont understand what yall are talking about when yall say weight but i want to learn so i can catch some bluegills on it what do yall recommend on a rod not the cheapest but not to high either and can someone give me idea on what diffent weight means
the weight is like the size of the line. smaller the number lighter the line. it will say on the rod what it is weighted for so you can match them up. this all depends what you fish for and how stiff a fly rod you prefer
thanks for the information Clinti sure did need it

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
18 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
21 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"An Instrumental Guitar recording of mine to commemorate. …"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Trout Season opens April 6th in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for stocking."
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
"My favorites through the Years: Manns Jelly Worm, Manns Auger tail, Charlie Brewers 4" on a…"
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
Sunday
Sunday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

"Thank you, Jeffrey!"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service