Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Just bought a 6' 9" UL St Croix Panfish rod and ready to string it up with line. What to use? Braid or mono, what brand and what lb test should I go?
Thanks

Views: 4153

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Personally, I prefer Braid.  Go with 20 lbs test.  Any lighter, and you will have lots of issues with wind knots.

This sounds like overkill, but, that's still a very thin diameter line.  And, you won't have to worry if your bait gets swallowed by a LMB or a big ol' catfish.  Put some cheap mono backing on the reel first, then finish with the braid.  I usually use a small snap-swivel as an attachment point for a mono leader.

Mono degrades pretty quickly compared to braid, even when unused; lots of line strength tests over time indicate that mono is good for maybe a couple of years at most and braid will last decades. Instead of mono backing, I like to fill reels with braid and then turn them around after a season or so. I keep a couple of junky old reels around to help me do that (reel it onto one, then the other, then back to original and it is turned around).

i like the way you think Andy... i have an old Daiwa with button push pop off spools mounted on an old glass ice fishing rod i use for the same purpose

Not sure if the guides on this particular rod are braid friendly?
They are the metal guides.

I like 4# original Stren, there are lots of new types of line and colors but there is a reason this line has been around so long. It works!!!!! It won't cost you a fortune to try it out.

Old School Rules. 

I'm with you, Kieth. Tried some of the new fangled line for a while and went back to what I had used all my life.

Frank;; a line I have been using for several years and come to really like-- is Mr. Crappie !!  its a type of green color-- very low memory;; great knot strength-  cast extremly well-- so far i have zero faults using it.....in about all of my pix of fish -- you can see the line to give you a idea of it..  get it at wally world for around 5 or 6 bucks-   never had aany kind of fish to break the line either!

I will take a look at it Carl. Thanks!

Frank-- cajun red is real good line to!!   i just prefer a colored line;;  i can see my line at any distance;; and when i get hung oh yea;; a LOT easier to see where at and how bad!!  on my pix page ( 2) i think-- on my quantum reel is the Mr. Crappie line;; its on all of my reels now!!

I like braid. Color depends on where you are. The mossy green works really well here in the NC Piedmont; for much of the year (while they are feeding somewhat aggressively) I don't bother with a leader and keep up with those using one, catch wise. It doesn't seem to put them off if you go with the lower diameters. The lower diameters do tend to get the wind knots from time to time but they are usually pretty easy to work out.

I like braid too, but don't know if these rod guides can handle it?

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
18 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
21 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"An Instrumental Guitar recording of mine to commemorate. …"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Trout Season opens April 6th in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for stocking."
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
"My favorites through the Years: Manns Jelly Worm, Manns Auger tail, Charlie Brewers 4" on a…"
Sunday
John Sheehan replied to John Sheehan's discussion Plastic Worm varieties in the group Lure History
Sunday
Sunday
Troy Dorman commented on Troy Dorman's photo
Thumbnail

"Thank you, Jeffrey!"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service