Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Okay, my girlfriend ordered me some 1/32 oz jigs with a size 4 hook, personally i think thats a bit large for gills?? What do yall think? Will they work or should i use em for crappie heads??

Views: 2663

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Size 8 hook I would think for Gills.32nd head  and lighter .And yes #4 for bigger 10" & over Crappie should work  great .

Hook size will boil down to what you're confident about in your water Jordan.....I often use a # 4 long shank live bait hook for gills or a # 6 Circle Hook......I like at least a 1/32 ounce jig once Spring arrives and sometimes a 1/16 ounce throughout the Summer......If you're contacting pound class gills in heavy cover like I do, I just don't feel good unless I have the larger terminal tackle........I eat a lot of gills but I also release many of the largest gills and I have found the smaller hooks gut hook the larger fish more often especially if taken deeper......The evolution of circle hooks has helped to avoid gut hooking as well......Use what gives you the most confidence is my recommendation!

Hey Jeffrey,  Where do you find size six circle hooks?   Most of my saltwater flies are tied on circle hooks but haven't found any circles mall enough for freshwater flies.  I would really like to find circle hooks down to size ten or twelve for panfish flies.

Steve

My local Dick's Sporting Goods has Gamakatsu Octopus Circles in size 4, 6, and 8.

Jann's Netcraft sells circle hooks (not sure on the brand) down to a size 12.

Here are some bead head bugs I tied up this morning, 4.5mm brass beads, size 4 Dai Riki #930 hooks and a variety of dressings.  Intended for crappie but the bass are starting to bed here.

[IMG]http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u157/stevefishes/IMG_3474_zpsfe0...[/IMG]

I found some 6's and 8's at a local tackle shop. Check out e-bay too. 

A smaller hook size will result in more fish.  If you fish waters like Jeffrey's where there are lots of fish 10" and better, size 4 is not too big; but for average waters with average-size bluegill, you're going to miss a lot of fish with that hook size.  

I use 1/32 with #6 hooks, 1/64 with #8 hooks and 1/80 with #10 hooks for gills - if crappie is the target, I use 1/8 with #4 and the 1/32 and 1/64 mentioned for gills

You can take a pair of roll nose pliers and turn it down a bit, if you like. This will make it a smaller mouthful.

On the other hand, a larger hook preselects for larger fish. The trick (as always) is to place the bait where more of that sort of fish are found....

We fish jigs from 1/24th to 1/100th with the majority right around 1/32nd and 1/48th. The hooks used are Matzuo sickles #6 & #8 (down to #12) & VMC/Mustad round bend #6 & #8 (down to #12). I like the black chrome finish for personal use.

The jigs you got, Jordan, would probably used for Crappie out here.

Id agree with LH, here. That is what we think of as crappie sized, too.

Larger brim will hit it, though, so it tends to keep the smaller ones out of the boat. I usually use one that size when the water is deeper. 

1/80 jig on size 10 works well for gills.  I also use #8 or #10 Aberdeen hook. I like the long shank since they tend not to gut hook.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
59 minutes ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
59 minutes ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
1 hour ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
1 hour ago
1 hour ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
20 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
23 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service