Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Here's a fish story (but true_...when I was in college, I caught a blugill in an old, WV farm pond. It was so large that it did not even look real. I was going to mount it, but was broke, so the farmer's wife decided to eat it. Before cleaning it, I asked her to take a picture. To demonstrate how big the fish was, I fanned out my hand as big as possible, laid it across the side, and the fish was significantly larger than the span of my hand. In other words, based on my 9" span, the dimension from belly to back was easily 10". This did not include the fin.

Does anyone know how to guess how long this fish might have been? It was spring and fatter than a hog. I want to get a replica made, but I am interested in some sort of formula to estimate length. Not sure if the aspect ratio of a bluegill is predictable - like the length equals height or some other crazy formula. In my case...the "height" was 10",,,what can I multiply this number by to get the length.

I would love some advice.

Views: 182

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh...one more thing. Never trust a 60 year old lady with early stages of alzheimers to load the film correctly and actually take a picture. (Instead of the fish getting away...the picture did.)
OK...I've learned a few things over the past few days browsing pictures on the web. 1) Really big bluegills look almost square. The fish I caught looked squarish too, though not as freakish as some of the record size fish. 2) Measuring the length and height of numerous photos of "typical" gills, "big" gills and "record" gills, I found the the length to height ratio varied from 1.2 to 1.8. 3) Using the estimate aspect ratio from the photos, the bluegill I caught would likely be in the foot long range, which sketched on paper looks remotely familiar to what I remember.

Now the next challenge...seeing if any of the taxidermists who do reproductions can duplicate the fish.
Cecil Baird, who is on this website is a bluegill master. I know for a fact that he is also well versed in creating reproductions. I'm not afraid to put in a little plug for him because he mounted two of my bluegill as well. He's extremely good. If your bluegill was a foot long, and in great body condition he may have made the mystical two-pound mark! Congratulations! That's a great, great fish. I'm about to post some photos of a two pound, four ounce monster that was caught in Nebraska and it was actually a little less than a foot long. Your fish could have certainly been over two pounds.
There are formulas for bass (I found them online) I use, so I would think they have them for just about any species. I know the bass formula is extremely accurate, having tested it.
Of course the bigger the fish, the more accurate you get.

RSS

Latest Activity

John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Thanks Jeff!"
23 hours ago
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Yes, the front one at least! What do you suppose happened there ,Jeff?"
23 hours ago
Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
23 hours ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
23 hours ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
23 hours ago
23 hours ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
yesterday
John Sheehan posted photos
yesterday
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
Tuesday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
Tuesday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
Tuesday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service