Bluegill - Big Bluegill

Do you love big bluegill?

Lets say I have 0 lures (that's not true of course) and have $100 o spend.

What MUST I go out and buy?  This is strictly for panfish.  

Views: 2442

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I've done a little of that. I can't say it makes a huge difference in my limited experience. But one thing seems to be clear: bluegill dont always like a big flapping twist tail rushing by!

Ended up getting this stuff for myself for Christmas, finally got around to posting it.  I'm sure you'll notice a few suggestions!

Looks good Chris....let's go fishing! A nice variety.....

I would go with trout magnets, strike king bitsy minnows, rapala ultra lights, and mister twister 1" curl tails.

Fly casting you cant beat any sort of popper fished tandem with a black ant under it

Full discloser...I am on Trout Magnet Pro Staff. I am not paid to fish them....I fish them because they catch fish. I have a bag full of micro lures that I continue to buy but none of them have ever measured up to the catching ability of the Trout Magnet. I fish full time..meaning 5 or 6 days a week 52 weeks a year. I catch literally thousands of Gills a year. Along the way I also mange to put between 800 and 1000 crappie in the skillet also. Plus my Smallies....White Bass and trout also. The only fish that does not particularly care for a Trout Magnet is the Large Mouth bass. We all have our favorite lures. But that doesn't mean I will not try something else. Because of this site I intend to get some Gapen floats. Had never heard of them until Walt Foreman showed me one and then read other posts about them on here. Expensive but I think worth it. Looks like you have a good supply of gear to put fish in the boat.

Regards 

What's your setup/technique using the trout magnets?

I will use 2# test line...sometime 1# test...and use the twitch method. I do fish it under a float and will fish it under the float more I am sure with the Gapen float. I fully expect the Gapen float to change my float fishing.

Regards 

Gapen does make some good floats....which ones do you use? I posted a photo of the style I use, or used to use, before I started experimenting with my own, and it was probably one of the best designs i have ever used.

I havent used any yet. I am laid up in a rehab center trying to get used to this new knee they just put in me. Walt Foreman showed me one when I asked him to build me a rod. I was very impressed with them and thought they would give me a big catch rate increase of trout when I float fish for trout. Do you know a good place to get them online...or should I just get them from the Gapen Company? Any tips on using them would be nice also. Thanking you in advance.

Regards 

Best part of this discussion Randy is all the different choices by many accomplished anglers.....My problem is trying to keep up with all the ideas....I love the trout magnets too but somedays I never get to them because the fish are hitting something else so well.... 

You are so right Jeffery. I find the same thing in my choice of fishing lures. I am really excited about using a Gapen float while fishing for trout with the Trout Magnet. I catch a lot of trout but think just this float will increase my catch rate.

Regards

What's the big advantage with those gapen floats??

RSS

Latest Activity

Jeffrey D. Abney commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

Rattle Trap Bass

"Another good bass…..his dorsal fin is almost gone completely….."
19 minutes ago
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"Big chain, very nice!"
19 minutes ago
Thumbnail

Spoon Bass

"Nice bass John!"
20 minutes ago
20 minutes ago
John Sheehan added a discussion to the group Lure History
Thumbnail

Discontinued Lures

Some of my favorites I can't find anymore: Acme Fash King Flutter Spoon, Eppinger Flutter Chuck,…See More
19 hours ago
John Sheehan posted photos
22 hours ago
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's photo
Thumbnail

25"+Spoon Pick

"25+inch Pickerel was best of the 13 Fish caught today a day after the Worm Moon. Two Bass and the…"
yesterday
John Sheehan commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"1/16th oz., good!"
yesterday
dick tabbert commented on dick tabbert's photo
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"These are my last build. I added more colors."
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"No Jon I went with the 1/16 oz jig heads so I could have a larger hook for crappies. It's a #4…"
yesterday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Colors are great !"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"Thats a good Crappie size! Are they 32nd Oz Jigs?"
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"They are right at 2" long."
Monday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I Can see Crappie and Bass chomping on them, Dick!"
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"I made these up for crappie in mind. They might be a little big for gills unless it a bigger gill."
Sunday
Thumbnail

IMG_0186

"What Species you got in mind for these great Minnow ties , Dick?"
Sunday
dick tabbert posted photos
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on Sam k.'s group Trout Bums
""Trout Season opens April 6th 2024 in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for…"
Sunday
John Sheehan commented on John Sheehan's status
"An Instrumental Guitar recording of mine to commemorate. …"
Sunday
John Sheehan posted a status
"Trout Season opens April 6th in New Jersey. Waters are runnin' high for stocking."
Sunday

© 2024   Created by Bluegill.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service